Bi Polar Discovered and Stephen King Chapter Two

Without Prejudice


The day of the 17th of August 2018 began as an ordinary day. Late Winter meant grey clouds a light misting of rain and a low of 3 degrees. I hung out washing anyway as one lives in hope. There was no sound in the early hour, I remember the silence distinctly. No dogs barking, no birds chattering, just complete dead silence.

I pondered the silence as usually there were noises emanating from next door. Stainless steel dogs bowls dragged across the ground, dogs barking at my presence in the backyard. Especially when I wound up the Hills Hoist washing line as it creaked ever since Acer swung on it and bent it over. I had oiled it and tried to level it back but it had a spiteful lean no matter what I did.

Usually if I was hanging out washing I would angle my body sideways as I always had the feeling that if K., my next door neighbour was home he watched me silently through the fence. I only went on gut instinct that he watched me, he was an unusually noisy person and once he realised I was out in the backyard there would be profound silence from his side.

I hate being spied on. In the wee small hours I am dressed like a dag in sweats and boots and a tank top as I am always hot even if it's freezing. So bending over to grab wet clothes out of the washing basket will show off my cleavage from one angle and my derrière from another. Not a good look on either angle. I always pretend he's not there as does he.

Out the front garden I usually have something to take care of, mail, de ice my car, pull weeds or pick up rubbish. I noticed K's work car was home. He has three cars and a tiny sloped driveway, so two cars are parked on the nature strip and one in the driveway. All three cars were there and no sign of my neighbour. I assumed he had the day off from work but it was odd as it was a Thursday. He might have every second Monday off, being a Tradie but not a Thursday.

Feeling a bit chilled I scurried back to the warmth of my unit.and blessed the powers that be that I had left the heating on. I warmed myself with a cup of hot milky coffee and hot buttered toast with avocado, vegemite and cheese. It was just what I needed, comfort food. My grown daughter lives in the large brick house at the front of the property along with four of her eight kids. Four males already having moved out to jobs and hot cars and hot girlfriends and kids.

My daughter has not done too badly for herself being a Single Mum. Four of her sons working and none of them smoke, drink, do drugs, swear or think they are great. Considering their real Dad is grossly affected by multiple addictions and is a recidivist it's a miracle they are all so normal, even a bit nerdy. But we like them.

We were feeling a bit low, Yvette, my daughter and I. Not 36 hours before we had attended a funeral of a young man who had died suddenly and tragically. So not having slept a lot for the previous two weeks we were tired. And it was now brightly cold. I could not get warm no matter how I tried so I had the good idea of turning the electric blanket on and listening to True Crime Podcasts in bed till I either was hungry, needed a wee or felt guilty.

Yvette was knocking on the door, rapidly, panicky. I told her to sod off but she rapped none the less but louder this time. She sobbed out some words and I didn't quite grasp what she was saying. It sounded like someone had killed themselves. I told her I had to get my pants on and a Police Officer
???? standing behind her said they would wait while I put my pants on.

I dragged my sweats back on and some socks and opened the door. If I had known what was about to be said I now think I should have dived back in to my by now warm, toasty bed and not emerged for days. But it was not to be.

Yvette finally was able to get her words out through chattering teeth and tears.

" K next door has killed himself "

" What ? " I asked.
 For a moment I was struck deaf, dumb and blind, my head reeled and I had to sit down. The Police were excellent. A man and a woman, both young. They grabbed chairs and sat and counselled us. We were hysterical with shock and disbelief. We had both seen him the previous day. Yvette at 6pm as she was putting a cat out and K was walking his dogs.

How he did it and why he did it we were about to find out and what we did find out would shock our very lives to the core "..............



Popular Posts