Casefile-True Murder Island-U.K.True Crime-Australian True Crime

Without Prejudice

 I am laid up with a sore swollen knee at the moment. If you are like me, the thought of having to rest and not work, is a living nightmare. I am a fidget, a flibberty jib, a person that can't stay still for Love Nor Money. Except when I am writing. Or sleeping. Otherwise I feel guilty and it drives me nuts.

My Sister, Jackie is the same. Our Mum, Natalie was also fidgety, even in conversation, she would switch rapidly from one subject to the other and except you to make the mental leap and keep up. She slept badly, often with one eye open, clutched at the door handle when Dad drove the car. But, then, if Dad was driving it was little wonder, he was a terrible driver.

Terrible driving must have run in the family, as in 1989, my ex husband and I thought we were both going to die at the hands of my Scottish Aunt, Auntie Heather, as she hurtled down tiny roads between Aberdeen and White Hills at breakneck speed. Driving us to her home in a bleak and cold Terrace house that faced the freezing Atlantic. And opposite to the home of my ancestors, way back when, the Vikings.

I always knew I was a Celt. Born in Edinburgh, around the corner from where Robert Louis Stevenson lived and wrote his books, Treasure Island, Kidnapped, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, and A Child's Garden of Verses. Jackie said we lived in a tenement flat and we were poor. She remembers it, I don't as I was only a toddler when we emigrated to Australia. Mum, Dad and five kids, aged from 2 to 9. Ian, the oldest would have been 9, James 8, Jackie, 6, George 4 and me 2.

Jackie introduced me to True Crime Podcasts earlier this year and I am hooked. As is she. So now I can lie down and listen to my favourite addiction without feeling guilty as thanks to the throbbing knee standing, sitting and getting up are too painful to discuss. I can now immerse myself in Casefile, with The Anonymous Host, or True Murder Island with the wonderful host, Cambo, Australian True Crime with Meshel Laurie and Emily Watkins and U.K.True Crime with host Adam.

I have no idea why True Crime Podcasts are so addictive but they are. I always liked reading True Crime as a child, just not any books that had lurid covers. Perhaps it's a preventative thing for females. Sussing out what makes a murderer, a rapist, a peadophile, a con man.? Forewarned is fore armed, What makes a perpetrator, a victim and what happens next.

Hearing about someone like Ivan Milat, Peter Sutcliffe, Ed Gacey, The Green River Killer, the Son Of Sam, the Wests, Katherine Knight is both horrifying and compelling. The first thing you notice is that after you have listened to a podcast, is that you will be curious to find out more. Driven to find out more. What the perpetrator looks like, the victim or victims. The murder scene.

Especially disheartening are the true life stories of the crimes committed against children. the frail, the elderly. How any person can even contemplate these especially heinous crimes is beyond comprehension to most of us ordinary souls. The fact stated time and time again by a lot of murderers  is that they have already fantasised many times prior to the crime. Fantasising becoming part of the modus operandi, that " they " feel pleasure in inflicting harm on others.

A Policeman once said that murder is usually about money or sex.
,
To be continued, Chapter Two Thursday 2/8/18





Popular Posts