Oh No, Not Glenn Frey

Without Prejudice


This week has been too cruel,

David Bowie, dead.

Alan Rickman, dead.

Glen Frey, dead.

All in their late sixties and far too young to die.

David Bowie and Dancing In The Streets with Mick Jagger was my " song " that signified my Mature Age HSC at Hallam High School.

The video clip was accidental. David and Mick were just dancing, " in the street " both dressed impeccably of course. David's Son says it is his most favourite clip, and if he ever needs to cheer himself up, he just watches the clip.

The footage was so unexpected that in the last frame you can see the headlights of the crews cars lighting up what is supposed to be daylight. The crew scars called in to light the set at the last minute, they just had to keep shooting the impromptu dancing.

Alan Rickman was a favourite actor. Usually playing a bad guy with an acerbic wit. Who can forget the lines such as,

"And Cancel Christmas " as Alan played the wicked Sherrif Of Nottingham in Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves"

Or his back and forth witty exchange with Bruce Willis in Die Hard, playing the villain Hans Gruber.

e.g.

" Mr Takagi will not be joining us .............for the rest of his life "

As he had just shot the poor man dead.

In the scene where Hans falls backwards out of Nakatomi Towers, the director released Alan a few seconds early so the surprise and terror in Hans eyes is real and it remains one of the most shown clips of all time.

I first saw Alan in a movie, Truly, Madly, Deeply with Julie Stevenson. I was going through a particularly bad time with my 15 year old daughter at the time. She had not long lost her younger sister and best mate for life. She lost her mind for a while and God knows why I took her to that particular movie.

A girlfriend had asked me along and was fairly contemptuous of my daughter but I took her anyway. I might have been scared to leave her alone. I told everybody everything in those days but I learned the lesson not to very quickly.

When something bad happens some people either think you deserved it or caused it. After my youngest daughter died aged 12 I found some people's reactions very strange. One good girlfriend, drunk, said that my baby girl might have committed suicide as all the attention went to her Sisters ( the two rebels ). I never have spoken to her since.

We had phone calls in the night that were just hang ups, two obscene. It seems that any attention in the press whether good or bad makes you somehow " above yourself" to some people. We were going through the worst time of our lives and we had people that wanted to harm us. It was crazy.

My daughter loved the movie, it was the first interest, normal interest, she had for a long time and on the way home, I nearly cried as I questioned her about singers of songs on the radio as I always did when she was " normal ". She knew Elvis Costello in an obscure song of his.

I nearly cried because her phenomenal, freaky memory of songs and artists before her time was still there. She didn't thrive at School as she was probably ADHD before it was known but her memory was freakish, a bit like mine, she just " knows " a singer, song, face, name, a memory. It's probably photographic memory and more than anything I wanted it still to be there, for her.

She remembered Alan Rickman again when she saw him in other movies and so did I. Always with pleasure for both of us.

To be continued...Glen Frey memories need a story all of their own.

Like The Summer Of " Lying Eyes", the smell of Gingham and denim blue espadrilles with skirts from Venture and tiny shrunken breasts.

Or the Summer Of Love while Hotel California played in the background, the guitar intro one of the best ever. Thank you Joe Walsh or Timothy B. And Don Henley's brilliance in everything.

More to come .....







Popular Posts