It Started With A Kiss

Without Prejudice

We had been circling around each other for three months. As Ford, the car company, had once stated, it takes 90 days to " know " a person. Three months of hesitation, three months of testing each other, three months of conversations that were guarded and hesitant. Both hurt people, not keen to try again but inexplicably drawn to each other.

The first time I looked into his eyes, his so much higher, mine so much lower, I knew everything about him. His past, his present, his future. And I ran.

Ran for my life as I thought he was a " type", a type I had known before. Rich, arrogant, confident. Spoiled.

I had glanced down at my shoes, my skirt, my outfit and turned on my heels, ( black, vintage, leather at least, those heels ). Clumpy. And felt dowdy and non deserving of his attention. A work superior and as I sat at my desk and shook as with ague, I decided I was not going there, not now, not ever.

It was like I had known him before, from somewhere in my long distant past. Had always known him. Knew he was waiting for me, always. And decided to ignore, dismiss, and get on with my great job, with its great salary, conditions, co workers. If I had known then what I know now, I would have picked up my reproduction Prada handbag and fled the building, the job, the co workers, my immediate superior, who would be left open mouthed and fled to my sanctuary, my sanity, my safety.

But I didn't. I sat and tacked the next round of invoices and entered them into the clunky old computer system. ...............

Popular Posts