Placenta Praevia

Without Prejudice

There is a young man in my life. He has bound himself to me and I could not be happier. I have at last count 14 Grandkids, one daughter with seven boys and one amazing baby girl. I love and worship all my Grandkids. I have always said that when you have a child it's like God reached inside your chest and rips your heart out. With a grandchild he rips it out and stomps on it a few times, gently

Such is the love.

I have one little youngster, my daughter's seventh son, Cruz, who is just a sweet child. From the moment he was born (  in 1 minute and 34 seconds after the labour ward doors slammed open and 2 weeks early, almost 4 years ago ) he has been a happy child. He delights in life and from day one everyone fell in love with him. We christened him Happy Buddha.

The pregnancy was a complicated one. Placenta Praevia stressed all of us out till the day of his birth. Yvette, my daughter, had never had swollen feet or legs before in the other six pregnancies. From three months on she had elaphantitis (lol) of the feet. It was funny only as Yvette is about 6 stone, dripping wet. She pissed herself laughing about her " cankles" she who had always laughed at people with them.

2 weeks before due date she planned to pick her niece up from work. It was a Saturday. I hovered, as ever when a baby is about to be born. For the most part I like to let my grown kids take care of themselves. I was an over anxious Mum, so had to learn detachment. But a due baby is a different kettle of fish. Stress! Especially as I live in a unit behind Yvette.

I checked on her that Saturday morning and she said she was fine, I was relieved, as ever, but then saw her lean into a kitchen chair with a twist of agony on her face. She saw me looking and assured me it was fine and just Braxton Hicks contractions. The pains that are readying you for birth. I was not in agreement.

" Put a pad on, " I said.

She did, even though she thought I was being overly concerned.

Half an hour later, after picking up her niece and dropping her at home around the corner, she waddled in, feet widely splayed.

" My waters have broken "

I knew it, a mix of intuition and history of her pregnancies, she had been early several times.

We waited for contractions to start, rang Monash Hospital where she was booked in, as she was a " complicated " pregnancy. The hospital far away and a pain in the ass for her to get to. She hated the place. A Hospital locally, Casey, could not rake her they said, because of the Placenta Previa.

Within an hour or so the contractions were coming hard and fast. Too fast. But I knew that could happen. My Mother In Law, Gwen, had always said that two years or less from the last baby meant you would go quick. Acer, Cruz's brother, was just two. The atmosphere was almost party like as we waited. Within minutes Yvette was on the bed on her back, and groaning. I rang an ambulance.

Meanwhile Yvette was on her back on her bed and Peter, her partner amused the kids at the other end of the house. She was curling her toes. I knew that meant baby was coming.

" Do you want to push ? " I asked, fingers crossed.

" Yes" she panted.

" Shit " I said.

The ambulance arrived, 2 workers, one man, one young lady.

I updated them on the situation.
Yvette began to bear down.

" Looks like we are having it here " I stated and the man looked funny. The young lady was happy for us to deliver, almost excited. Me too.

I asked the man if he had delivered before,

" I assisted at one once"

"Right, let's go to Hospital " I said.

He whacked a Penthrox into Yvette's mouth and within seconds her contractions slowed. And we were off. The weather was crazy, foggy, raining hard, no time to get to Monash so I shouted through the screen,

" We can make Casey Hospital "

So Cruz was born at Casey after all and seconds before birth that blasted Placenta gently moved out of the way, allowing him to be born, naturally.

Fast forward four years and this little bundle of calm beatitude rules my world, rocks my world.

One of his brothers had a Woody, from Toy Story doll. Cruz loves it. But Woody had been through a few brothers and had a head off and both arms and legs. I promised to fix it for him. I kept putting it off and making excuses and every time he came in he asked if Woody was fixed.

And then Robin Williams died.

And I could only think how fragile life is, and short.

I grabbed Woody and fixed him to the Nth degree. Cruz was so happy, so was I.

As he headed out the door of my unit, with a mint condition Woody, he said

" Where's his hat ? "

 " Out", I said and he ran off.












Popular Posts