Money, Money, Money

Without Prejudice

I Received my first Royalty money , today, from Google. It wasn't enough to buy me the Farm but I was surprised and delighted to find extra money in my bank account.

I was beaming not just because of the money, as money can be very nice, but was fascinated to think people thought I was a good enough writer to read my stories.

The first cash I earned was eleven shillings and sixpence from The Brisbane Courier Mail when I was 11. A money order came in the mail and after I kept it for a while and admired it long enough I went out and bought my siblings and I a fair few cream buns.

And a lot of Slippery SAMs from the corner milk bar. My brothers George, Dave and I had a lot of Slippery SAMs that hot hot Summer at Main Beach on the Gold Coast. The year I turned 11. All sunburned noses and freckles that year. It was a good one.

I was crowned Top Girl in Grade 6 for all three school terms, I was in the softball team, swimming squad which I loved, I was flying. Squad nights wereThursday nights at the pool in the roof of a hotel in Southport. It was incredible to swim in a warm pool, the night sky dark, the breezes coming off the Broadwater and further out The Pacific Ocean raising goosebumps on your arms.

Wet cossies that had to peeled from your body and wrung out and washed. As the chlorine would rot them quick enough if you left them sodden on the concrete shower floor. No tiles in the downstairs at Southport, just concrete grey and mouldy green in the corners. A dried up cake of Cashmere Bouquet resting in the shower recess.





Popular Posts