The One Armed Woman---The Dalai Lama

Without Prejudice


The World will be saved by the Western Woman, said the Dalai Lama.


The Dalai Lama - “The World Will Be Saved By the Western Woman”

About a month ago, the Dalai Lama said something about women that is just now making the rounds on Twitter. His statement, “The world will be saved by the western woman,” was delivered during the Vancouver Peace Summit 2009, which opened on the morning of Sunday, September 27th.
Although I’m still trying to track down a transcript of the speech containing the above statement, the Dalai Lama participated in more than one panel discussion that day, and the event most likely to have provoked such a strongly worded declaration was the “Nobel Laureates in Dialogue: Connecting for Peace” presentation held that afternoon. Moderated by former Irish president and peace activist Mary Robinson, the panel discussion featured four Nobel Peace Prize Laureates: the Dalai Lama (who won in 1989); Mairead Maguire and Betty Williams, founders of the Northern Ireland Peace Movement and winners of the Nobel in 1976; and American Peace prize winner anti-landmine crusader Jody Williams, an American peace prize winner in 1997.



I am in total agreement with that statement. But as most woman are usually one armed, I can't imagine the power we would have if we were able to do tasks with both hands.

I find that I always seem to have something in my left hand when I am about to do something. It's a child, a bag of groceries, a bag of dog poo, a rake.

My youngest little grand daughter, Shilo, has a fixation on Nan at the moment. She is about to turn two and is a chattering bundle of Joy, especially in Nans company. She watches me avidly and I have to hide my keys, phones, and handbag if I am ever to get out of the house on my own. She is usually attached to my left hand.

She seems to know instinctively if I am even thinking about going somewhere and will follow me to the ends of the Earth to ensure I don't go without her. She will wave bye to Mum quite gladly, if I do decide to take her with me and as she is a curly headed smiling toddler she slows my shopping trips down with all the attention she gets.

People just fall in love with her.

Women, most women, tend to be nurturing by nature and I am guessing that is why the Dalai Lama thinks we will save the World. No Mother, Grandma, Sister, Aunt, Female Cousin, Girlfriend, Partner would want her a Son, Grandson, Brother, to go to War.

I recall when September 11 happened my immediate thought was,

" I am getting my Grandsons ( they were small then ) and heading for the hills to hide out. There is no way they are going to War "

That was 14 years ago, now and I have never changed my mind. And watch with growing alarm at conflicts happening in the Middle East and stupidly wish it would all just go away. Two of my young male relatives have been in the Army and now are home based. Both went to Afghanistan as part of their service.

Both returned safely, thank God.

One told me about the training at Pukka and he said if you can survive it it turns you into a Soldier. If you can deal with being yelled at in the face by a drill sergeant seemingly bent on breaking you down you will make it. But he said some didn't make it and one ran amok with a gun ready to take out others and then himself.

Scary stuff.

I guess if I was ever standing in front of a drill sergeant he would be forced to say,

" Bruckshaw, you horrible little thing, what have you in your left hand ? "

For one thing, no woman I know goes out of the house without her " home " a.k.a. her handbag. It's her security. So as a red faced Sergeant yells at me I would be more than conscious of my left hand clutching at something. Bag, child, bag of litter I picked up on the way to the Parade Ground. I certainly wouldn't be taking insults, instruction or yelling from anyone, especially some loud mouthed, bad breathed, crisp haired male.

I was brought up in the revolutionary times of Women's Lib. Although feminism went overboard some, the ideology was correct. Equal pay, equal rights for Women. We were lead to believe we could have it all, career, family, relationship.

And although things have improved out of sight, women are still not paid the same salary as Men.

Given that money is an essential commodity in the World are we treated as inferior beings as we are thought to be "less than" a male ? especially here in our mostly Patriarchal society in Australia, we  need a cultural change, an attitude change, a behavioural change.

And if the violence against Women rises in the domestic sector, for some reason it correlates to the World. If domestic violence rises against women there is a rise in " violence" in the World, such as earthquakes, floods, famines. Is this Mother Nature at work.?

I am not sure but meanwhile as a one armed woman I will do everything in my power to halt domestic violence, war, violence in the World. And if you think that one person cannot make a difference you are misinformed.

One person becomes two, then three and one hundred. The Conscious  Collective with similar views.

Social Media is now so powerful a Facebook Page can change the World.

And Woman are naturally chatty. And tend to make friends easily.

Together, two handed, we can change the World.

In the 70's the Women stopped sleeping with their Men until things changed for the better. It worked very well.






Popular Posts