Camp Eden---My Own Miracle

Without Prejudice

Four years ago I had the good fortune to be sent by my Brothers, to Camp Eden in the stunning hinterland of Coolongatta in the sunny state of Queensland.

I didn't want to. An introvert like me hates the thought of being in the company of 16 strangers in an unfamiliar place.

I cried on the plane ride to Queensland. I cried at the thought I would hate Camp Eden. I was in the middle of Winter Blues, never a good time for me, for some reason.

I was born in a cold country, Scotland, and you would think the tolerance of cold freezing weather  would be hired into my DNA. Not so. I hate the mid winter in Victoria, where I live. It's not so much the weather as the lack of light, and I am supposed to use a light lamp well before Winter arrives.

Do I do it ?

No.

So that year I was newly moved into my unit behind my second oldest daughter's house. There was mud, mud, mud everywhere outside my kitchen window. There were two large dogs, a German Sheperd and a very large Husky, both females and the grass outside was so high the dogs were having to poo on the concrete paths.

The surrounding yard was a mess of building rubbish, broken glass, splintered timber and ruts from the trucks that had had to access the block. It was a nightmare. Also my daughter's boyfriend after a stint in lock up for being psychotic around his parents arrived back at her place and from day one he hated me being there.

So with a heavy heart and even heavier body I went to Queensland.


I sucked up the trip to Camp Eden as I was behaving like a nightmare and my younger brother had been the year before and said it transformed his life. I either muttered, lost my temper or was rude, nasty or obnoxious. No wonder they wanted rid of me.

So my younger brother drove me there from Redcliffe where he lived. In his girlfriends Mercedes. They billed and cooed at each other the whole way.

After he paid in advance for me to stay for five days and went to drive off, he slid down the electric passenger side window, his beloved now sitting back in the passenger seat, her rightful place.

He leaned across her figure, he lowered his expensive sun glasses and said,

" By the way, there's no TV and no coffee"

I wanted to yell at his departing car, he lives cars and speed so he chirped the tyres on the gravel



Popular Posts