White Musk

Without Prejudice



Debbie first brought it home from Chaddy, she was working , Brash's same as me but she worked on the Shop floor, I was in the office. She bought it from this fantastic new shop Body Shop, organic. That smell evokes so many memories, Greg Rako, the stunningly good looking boy that worked there, I was like his Mum. One day he came in hungover, he said even his hair hurt.

Boys are great to work with, they don't give a shit, they cover your ass if they like you and they tell you all their girl problems. Greg was a playboy, big time. Every time he came in the shop it was with another girl. All stunning, Italian, French, German, he was a virtual one man sex factory.

He was beautifully groomed, always, only undoing his tie when it was really hot and when he pulled it loose he looked like a naughty schoolboy. He was Croatian with parents from the Old Country, who owned a farm at Keysborough, two old peasants who had neither a tooth or word of English between them. He would get really annoyed with them,

"Speak English, you peasants", he would say and laugh.

One day he came in hungover again and he groaned, this one was massive,

"I need a fuck", he said and I creased up laughing, "Just run out to the shop, Greg, And two or three girls will attach themselves to you, I'll leave if you like. He groaned holding his head and went out to the shop and left early. He was just so male, a perfect specimum of manhood, no pretense, all good times. And I'd never known that sex was a hangover cure.

Deb used to have a friend, Sally from Dingley, her Dad thought Debbie smelled like lemons with White Musk on, always, following her around murmuring lemons. Sally's parents were the most fantastic people, friendly, warm, engaging, just ordinary people, he a plumber and she sales woman and sally was a hairdresser.

The son was a tradie, chippy, I think, beautiful Surfie boy to look at with his shaggy blonde streaked hair. The perfect son and the perfect family. On Fathers Day that year Ron, the Dad couldn't get an answer from his son when he knocked on the bedroom door.They climbed out on to the gable on his roof and broke the window to get in, he was dead, lying there all day as the family thought he was just sleeping off a big night. Heroin Overdose and they never even knew.

They didn't ask us to the funeral. we didn't find out until after he had been buried. We were a bit hurt we hadn't been notified but I went to see Sally for a haircut and the Mum, Carol was there. Her and her husband had split up, she was still in the house. It was so awful, she was beyond bereft and I realised that she wasn't getting the help she needed, or turning to people because of the WAY, he died, drugs being a shameful thing, and not something you wanted the neighbours to know, especailly in Dingley. I though of all the support we had been given and I was sad for her, she seemed so alone and so very fragile. And no more Dad running after Debbie murmuriing lemons, lemons.

I bought my sister in law some when her little girl was in Hospital and she now wears nothing else
I wear it if I want to evoke memory, beauty mmmmmm

Love Janette

Popular Posts