Thornes House

Without Prejudice

I was 13 when I first entered Thornes House, I was to stay till I left school, the longest time I would spend at one school. It was situated in acres of stunning parkland in Wakefield Yorkshire. The School itself was set in a Quadrangle, massive stone buildings, surrounding a square of grass where we were not encouraged to sit or play. And from a small square of concrete for Assembly at Southport I went to Assembly in a huge hall with a stage which was also used as a Theatre. Eric Yates, aka "The Boss" led the Assembly dressed austerely in Mortar Board And long flowing gown. He was a terrifying figure. he didn't walk down corridors he glided, like a Vampire,

The school had a dining hall for school dinners, a 33 amd a 3rd size undercover Swimming Pool in which I would have many races and worked on my Individual Medley. A massive gym with three full size trampolines set in the floor, and a hoist and harness so we could pretend to be flying in productions at the Theatre. There were wooden horses for vaulting, climbing frames and nets on every wall. We were encouraged to use the Gym any time, and within a year I would be playing Hockey, doing movement and gymnastics, running cross country, hopelessly badly, and ballet. It was that type of School where you were expected to excel at everything. Public Speaking, play an instrument, sing, dance as well as learn algebra, the Russian Revolution, European History, Spanish, French, Latin. Science, Physics, English, normal Maths, all the hymns contained in the hymn book the list was endless.

The pupils had already been in first form five months when I first started, French the first lesson and they were all way ahead of me, who knew oui and non and that was it. The next was maths, algebra and logarithims, I was in hell and floundered badly, sitting in the back hoping not to be noticed. And the classroome were electrically lit all the time, which didn't help my eyesight and I went home in tears and told Mum I couldn't see the board. That was my fault. I had been diagnosed with short sightedness and astigmatism at 11 and I would not go and get the hated glasses, being too vain at 12.

The boys all wore full uniform, grey flannels, white shirts, blazer, tie, girls were the same except for a tartan winter skirt in box pleats and it had to be six inches below the knee and The headmistress would make us stand while she measured us with a wooden ruler. Learning to tie a Windsor Knot in our ties was a problem and Dad did them in the end and we would just yank them up. We did learn later, Dad patiently standing behind us in front of the mirror.

You were expected to carry a wicker basket as your School Bag which made for fun carrying home books and Domestic Science projects. Sometimes in the Snow! I met a friendly girl on the first day and walked home to her place that afternoon, cold nipping at my feet and hands and gloves were one of the first thing I bought. The Trees in the park soaring into the sky, horse chesnuts for the "Conkers", massive elms and Oaks, and we walked for ages, along the cold steel grey paths, no birds singing, too cold.

All the other Masters wore the gowns and Mortar boards, the same and the mistresses. The Boss ruled his school with a rigid schedule and a cane. The cane being the ultimate punishment, swooshing down on guilty grey flannelled bums, boys mostly. I can't remember a girl being hit but the threat was always there. I only went to the office once for wagging, my voice shaking and of course, smiling nervously and he told me to wipe "That Stupid Grin Off Your Face", and I couldn't and he was furious with me.

He was so scary like the nasty schoolteacher in "The Wall" and I don't think I ever saw him smile not even a hint. He ruled that school and we all understood. I heard from Cuckoo that years later he had a breakdown and was hospitalised.

I didn't have a uniform when I first started and didn't get one till the 3 month waiting period was up. George and I having to prove ourselves for 3 months, see if we were as good as My Mum. She came from an old mining family in the area and passed the 11 plus exam with 100 percent and was awarded a Scholarship, my Dad doing the same in Glasgow. George and I struggled to begin with, leaving Australias school holiday end and me finishing as Top Girl at Southport State winning every term exam and then the ultimate one. the final exam. I was so sharp I could have cut paper and then I hit bottom.




To be continued

Popular Posts