Vain Glory

Without Prejudice

I never realised I was vain, I would have said the opposite, always, vanity was nor encouraged in a Calvanistic Presbyterian family. And besides I had siblings who would bring you down like a shot, Mum and Dad, same.

As far as I was convinced I was a plain child, freckles, straw hair, peeling nose, squint. One photo of My elegant Mother at David's christening showing me looking like a homeless child, bow in hair sliding out, squinting at the camera.

I didn't care how I looked. And then this year I had to bow to the inevitable and get teeth, Kerry Cue saying to me once,

"There is no excuse for missing teeth"

So I went to get them and the dental mechanic was recommended by two old dears in the waiting room.
He was always rude, brusque, even. He stretched out the appointments at 2 -3 weekly intervals ands in the end it took 3 months.

Teeth already out and waiting for a plate I couldn't go out in Public and didn't from March to June. The day I finally picked up the plates I was flying to the Gold Coast that night.

Once again he was rude, didn't give me a mirror, checked that they fitted and asked for a further $300 cash, for "Better Material", I didn't want to believe he was shonky. I didn't pay him, I had forgotten my purse, luckily.

I put them in in the car and was horrified, you couldn't see any teeth and my lips had fallen back in, and I had to go, catch a plane.

I rang him as soon as I arrived home, told him how upset I was, after waiting so long. he was rude of course and said he would fix them.

So with that in mind I went to Camp Eden and Queensland looking like Quasimodo. I wasn't happy, I couldn't open my mouth, couldn't smile. The plates were awful and hurt, surreptiuosly slipping the bottom out at the dinner table and eating and putting them back in.

I didn't think I was vain but I was, I covered my mouth, wouldn't be in photographs, I was vain for sure.

Everyone thought I had disappeared from the landscape but it was just vanity.

I flew home and went straight to my old dentist, the very delightful and urbane, Ian Diamond.

He used to employ 2 of my girls for years, and knows me. I hadn't gone to him originally because I had not long moved, to "Cranny", so used a Local Business,

He took one look at the plates and nearly threw them in the bin, one week he took to make a new set, $1,700, worth every cent. And they are perfect, and I cried when I first smiled. Months of avoiding people, and I knew for sure I was vain, after all




Love Janette

Popular Posts