Cuckoo

Without Prejudice



We went out dancing the first night and it was the best fun I'd had in years.

Dave, (cuckoo ) a huge 6'6" guy, with shoulders that looked oxen like and he loved to wear hand knits from Italy, sitting snug to the body.

he was a conniesur of everything. food, wine, beer, politics, family, (He had 2 young daughters ), taxi cabs vs mini cabs, curry vs fish and chips,

He and I had gone to Grammar School together, and we caught up on old times. My Old Boss, Eric Yates, our headmaster having retired early and having a breakdown.

We remembered our old Science Master, who had sneezed and his false teeth shot out into the room, hoping we hadn't seen it and of course we had.


Dave had married a girl and they had two children and she ran off with a Pakistani man and Dave was shattered. It affected hin in every way, his whole life, I felt really bad for him.

But he still enjoyed life and we went around together, searching my old home for new experiences. We went to Roseleigh, Mum and Dad's old home in Ossett.And crawled all over Wakefield, I wanted to see everything.

And he was my constant companion from day one. Taking me to see E.T. and Rocky, which he loved all of the numbers, his favourite Clubber Lang and Apollo Creed. He knew whole chunks of the dialogue of most of them,
"Ain't So Bad!"
And he bought me a burgundy and gold lighter with the words engraved on it.

He was too troubled by his wife and childrens welfare to be any threat as company, just wanted to be Friend and explore old places with me.

I went to Wales and he kept ringing me. My aunt's and I went on a coach to a Butlins Camp for a ball room dancing comeptition.
It was like something out of a Movie, "Strictly Ballroom", and there were sequins and bare flesh, spray tans and industrial strength make up and hairspray.

There were vicious "snits", between stage Mothers and Daughters, between dancers, partners, the place was a hot bed of gossip and innuendo.
Auntie Pat, 60, said
"I've never been so fooking bored in my life"
And Aunty Betty hushed her, for swearing.

The accomodation was awful, fur inside the kettle, bunk beds and Auntie Pat an insomniac. She ended up taking just Panadol to try and sleep and she did, mouth open and snoring.

Popular Posts