Nevermind

Without Prejudice

I loved the song by Dan Fogelberg when it came out and I was at BRASH'S in Southland, "Same Auld Lang Syne" and I imagined what it was like to run after a person who you used to love.

I've never done it, figuring if it was over it was over and close the book. And the haunting song reminded me of loves and how I would feel if I saw them moved on after many years.

Everyone knows how you feel about exes, wishing at first they would go away and pine for your lost love forever. And die and miserable and lonely still calling your name.

But they never do.

I met up with an old boyfriend not that long ago, a few years. He at that time had made a choice and gone off with a girl who's Father owned a Truck Company. I was just a poor pleb. Lots of kids.

And he was exactly the same, saw him at an opening of a Hotel. He looked the same and we hugged and laughed and caught up. Filling in each other details of our lives.

He had had a little girl from the truck company daughter and adored her, showing me pictures of a sweet little girl in a Collingwood jumper.

The relationship hadn't lasted, and he was a bit lost. I asked him back to my place and Nev was at home. He was supposed to be gone but like a little homing pigeon had come home. Passed out drunk, probably. But we didn't go in, me saying,

"I don't think this is such a good idea"

No lets go in", he said. And I said,

"No"

"Why"


"Because I am separated from Nev but I don't think I should take another man into what is still half his home, not even to chat"

We had sold the house but I knew Neville would not remove himself till the last day.We still got on well and still do, he's one of my most favourite people of all time. Little Wastrel.

So we stayed out in the car port drinking a little and remembering past history, and I realised as I was talking to him that I didn't miss him or our past.

It was part of history, now, tucked away in a box of memory bank. Perfect as it was. And time had changed me but not him. Then he told me the most shocking thing, that when I had first met him he was a cocaine addict, using it to stay up nights and work.

You could have knocked me down with a feather, he looked just like any typical well groomed rich man

No wonder he was shitty half the time.

And I thanked him for the beer and chat. he gave me his phone number, if I ever felt like catching up. And I thought not a chance.

He lived on acreage at the back of Cranbourne, a veritable mansion on it he said. And I thought good luck with it all.
He whispered in my ear,

"Remember when ????"

And I almost laughed out loud. He mentioned some chandelier swinging thing we were supposed to do and I knew he had me mixed up with someone else.

So he left and I went inside and threw the number in the bin. And went to my room and locked it and slept like a baby.

Love Janette

Popular Posts