One More Time Before The Light

Without Prejudice

Do we go dancing one more time before the light? Hoping our face fits, our music fits, what we hold dear, our sensitivities and most important, our heart, hiding in fear.
Do we dance one more time under a full moon with its weighty thrall, promising in it's golden glow all manner of things, unimagined in bright day light hours.

And we ache for the thing we don't have, a sense of completeness.

My Dad once said to me, when I was so happy to be single.
"Men and Women are meant to be together, Janette"
"A man needs the comfort of a woman's body"

And that was that, Dad being so rarely single in life. And that was his belief and I think women can bear to be single but it never sits comfortably.

It's funny because when I looked after the elderly, none of the woman wanted another man to live with, not one, even if they had been happily married for 50 years.

They were all over 80, mindst you, and I asked if they ever were lonely, they answered as one,
"No!"

One lady delighted to be putting hers in respite for a week, and one crying on her anniversary for her poor hubby in a Nursing Home, not able to recognise her any more. But she was going any way. And had a picnic lunch for them both.

The one I loved the most was Helen, her hubby in a Wheelchair, George. And when she asked me if I'd like a cup of tea, she said with delight,

"Oh, I'll just run in and ask Georgie if he wants one"

And the way she said Georgie was so lovely. Like he was the most important person in the world, and I thought,

"Lucky Man, George"

And if I went there now, I would be pretty sure Georgie won't be there any more, but she will be, still in love with him.

So back to my original question, should we going dancing once more before the light?

I think decidedly Yes, resoundingly Yes, because we live once, just once, this is not a dress rehearsal, this is it. Life. And love is great. It makes you feel beautiful and wanted and listened to and understood, being understood is one of the greatest things that can happen to a Human Being.

I have definitely felt it for all my men and they have felt it for me. In any relationship there is always an element of love, otherwise it wouldn't survive.

And I have found as I get older I make better choices, not the biological ones we make when younger. I choose companionship, silences, space, respect and understanding every time. I am no longer as driven or impatient, well I'm working on it.

Love Janette

Popular Posts