Zach on leaving home

Without Prejudice

The Summer seems to be ending early this year. Yvette and I who are so sensitive to it, feel it. Its only almost mid February and the whisper of cold days and nights nudges at our spines. Behind us are the days of noisy wet kids running throught the fifties sprinkler in the back yard. Gone are the hot nights spent at the beach, with cool shallows and fat babies running from the surf.

One day they will all leave home and we will be left. Zach left at 17 last night, leaving a messy room, of course, and memories tied up in the dust bunnies that settle in the corner. He was so loved as a baby my solemn little brown eyed boy with his sombre prnouncements. He liked the fact that he considered everything "dead". the tree was dead, the nurse was dead. He went through an
everythings dead phase for ages.

Now he towers over us in his six feet of strong gentle man hood. He beams at the world and when I saw him yesterday in his Year 11 uniform I suddenly wanted to cry. He has matured in to a fine man and we are so proud of him as we are the others. Men raised by women. Lots of love, lots of discipline, lots of tears and lots and lots of talking, explaining and enjoying. God gave us these 7 boys to raise and I give thanks every day, every single day for "my boys", I think without them I'd be dead.

So the ending of Summer coincides with Zach's leaving and we rally Yvette and I to bear the pain of his absence. Zach the loyal, the patient, the strong. he will be back of course but it won't be the same. Change as ever finding its way to our home and robbing us of our past. But we know he's better off. He is living with his oldest brother in a divine unit in Dandenog. No more part of the home full time and we will miss him.

He wants to be a Police man. Irony of ironies as his Dad who has hardly seen his boys over the years is a wreck of a Man, a shambolic drug addicted nightmare who we hate and pity. And love, but he doesn't see it, only the drug. I joked that one day Zach might be arresting him, but he wants to be in the Dog Squad and I can imagine that. I can imangine him with a beautiful Alsatian by his side. Just like Bonnie who was there for 13 years of his younger life.

She was there to protect and guard her little 7 progeny. She thought she was their Mother, and would herd them up and play with them and climb her tree at the park while they admired her. They all cried when she died 4 months ago and grieved for her for a long time. But she now lies in the back yard sleeping forever under my lounge room window and I say Good Morning every day and Good night to "Our girl".

So I am sad he's leaving, but I know his future awaits, knocking at the door, wanting him to go, to leave, to make his way in the world and I know the world will be a better place with him in it. Bye for now ny angel boy, see you back here as Man. Love Nana xoxox

Popular Posts