Dolce Domum, My Sweet Home

Without Prejudice

It was mad the weather, two days ago. Winds fierce and cold, biting. Hail was forecast but mainly it was just another day of Melbourne's crazy weather. Sun shining one minute, overcast grey and threatening black skies to the South, the next. The boys were agitated all day, sore ears and sinuses ruining their day as much as ours, lots of coughing and hoodies laced tight. There were little spats and grizzling.

We had reached day 29 of the makeover of the main house. Exhausted, beyond tiredness, we sat and watched The Bold and Beautiful, too tired to even speak. We had worked through 29 by 16 hour days and it was done. The nursery set up, the kitchen and family area clean, uncluttered, sparkling floors, bedrooms set up and boys all happy in their rooms and routine. She ordered new Foxtel boxes, and she ordered me around day after day, the Babyzilla that she is.

The house hadn't had a spring clean in forever, and the main 5 older boys have grown from the little boys they were then, into men who drive and have girlfriends and jobs. We started at the back and worked forward, not helped by the males in any way. They went into meltdown. We eventually found all their precious memories and filed them away. Months ago they laughed at such baby toys, they of the GTA v's and Minecraft, they, decided they wanted every toy, school paper, woodwork project saved for when they were fathers themselves.

But they basically would not help much and this week they worked for a friend of mine instead. If this little slice of heaven that is my life could ever be rocked it would have to be the past three weeks. The boys have hated every minute of it, every single minute. I think males don't like to be out of their routine at all and make it known, every minute of the day.

But it's done now and they are more than thrilled with it. The oldest ones seeing that the logic that clean up and get girl visitors worked extremely well and now 2 have girlfriends. We created them a pad, especially for older teens out of the old lounge room. Lined with beds and massive T.V. And Foxtel, bar fridge. Singapore blinds. They love it now the wretches.

And during the bone crunching hard work we decided to pick up violent head colds that make us feel like we are working underwater, surfacing for a break every now and then. Moaning, of course. So one more pick up of a plump child of three. As I head done the stairs he tugs on my arm urging me to stay on the porch of the tiny verandah to my unit. I'm tired and want him to stop but something makes me stop and face him the way he wants to go.

The wind is up, the sky just starting to darken for night and he this man in the making faces into the wind and let's it blow into his face, lifting his hair and he is beatific. I look at where he is looking and he is just gazing into the wind, enjoying the wildness and power of it and had sniffs the air in ecstasy. I see him gazing down the tunnel of his male future, seeing his tasks, challenges, his responsibilities yet to come.

He stays like this for minutes and I just watch in awe at his three year old male beauty. I think of the man he will be, toddling after his six brothers on fat baby legs. As always I am in awe at the beauty of children, his beauty in his black wicked eyes and sunny nature. Always sweet, although a young female comes to visit and he climbs around taking off his tee and showing off until he is annoying. And gets put to bed.

And if I wished him to model himself on a man it would have to be Clint. My boyfriend. A 35 year old gentle giant, who is quietly spiritual, kind, intelligent, compassionate, loves my music and me. Not  a bad bone in his body , a six foot 2 large framed Croatian body with washboard abs and big manly shoulders. He works out, eats healthy and now he is over his shyness sweeps me off my feet when he comes in, delighted, in a rush.

We at first casual friends, I knew him from a cheeky little boy and when he first saw me as an adult fell, and I thought no chance, no way, he's too young, needs a wife and a family, 5 years later on Melbourne Cup Day, this year, we have been seeing each other. All so casual and hot and now wanting to settle in, settle down and grins from ear to ear when I joke about it. I'm shocked.

He's so protective and tender, reverently touching my

Popular Posts