Time For A Cool Change, Sochi 2014 and The Supebowl.

Without Prejudice

There is nothing better after a run of hot summer days than a cool change. If you are near the sea, even better. After rain falls on burning hot pavements and parched lawns and plants there are negative ions in the air that immediately lift your spirits and make you want to dance with the thought with just being alive. Mother Nature performs her best, clear skies but no sting of heat, cool breezes fresh off an un polluted bay, little white caps ruffled like lace on a damsel's dress.

The sand cool just under the top crust, leaving you with goosebumps of Summer's past and Summers to come. Staring out to the horizon with squinting eyes and feeling infinitesimal and slightly nervous. Big ships silently sliding past, that you see better at night, lit up. And on entering the cooling water feeling it's delicious coldness at first and then it's warmth, like a bath. That last gasp as you wet your entire head and bravely " duck right under ".

The sandy bottom you can see if you open your eyes wide and ignore the burning. Memories of shiny coins thrown and being able to grab them, even with curled toes of the feet. Memory of that special cramp you get when you over arch them. Knowing now all you had to do was stand firmly, your weight over your feet and in a second the pain would subside. The ageless, limitless sensual comfort of the sea. You are weightless, floating, gliding, ducking, a dolphin born before time at one with the water.

Glenn Shorrock and the Little River Band singing Time For A Cool Change, plays in your head and you stare at the full moon like a Lover


If there's one thing in my life that's missing

It's the time that I spend alone

Sailing on the cool and bright clear water

Lots of those friendly people

And they're showing me ways to go

And I never want to lose their inspiration

Time for a cool change
I know that it's time for a cool change


And now that my life is so prearranged
I know that it's time for a cool change

Well, I was born in the sign of water

And it's there that I feel my best

The albatross and the whales they are my brothers

It's kind of a special feeling

When you're out on the sea alone

Staring at the full moon, like a lover

Time for a cool change
I know that it's time for a cool change

Now that my life is so prearranged
I know that it's time for a cool change

I've never been romantic

And sometimes I don't care

I know it may sound selfish



But let me breathe the air, yeah

Let me breathe the air
If there's one thing in my life that's missing

It's the time that I spend alone

Sailing on the cool and bright clear water


It's kind of a special feeling

When you're out on the sea alone

Staring at the full moon, like a lover

Time for a cool change
I know that it's time for a cool change

Now that my life is so prearranged


I know that it's hard for a cool
Cool, cool change
It's time, it's time, it's time
It's time, it's time, it's time
For a cool, cool change

Oooooh, I know it's time for a cool
Cool, cool change
Now that my life is so prearranged


Well, I know, I know, I know, I know
That it's time for a cool change
Yes it is, yes it is, yes it is, yes it is
It's Time for a cool change

Across the other side of the world, we are about to watch the Winter Olympics in Sochi. Freezing temperatures, snow, ice and almost the entire world will be watching. The Super Bowl, the same, freezing cold. I can't imagine that sort of cold at the moment, it seems crazy to me who remains in the middle of a blistering Summer. But I will be watching, the dizzying dance of the ice skater, fearless in their passion for the sport
The ski jumpers that take flight, airborne for a few seconds. 

The terrifying speed of the Bob sled, heart in mouth you watch each run, fully expecting a crash, bodies, blood spilled on all that white. And all you can think of is how you couldn't do that and why those people are able to. 

I was watching an Olympics once in England, and Time For A Cool Change came on as background music to an ad. And there suddenly was the bluest, green sea with Dolphins spiralling out of the water in sheer exuberance, skin gleaming and dripping iridescent sea water , and I cried and cried. I was so homesick for my adopted country. 

It was everything I felt for my country, the Australianess of me. And if I could have just packed up right then and then and fled to warmer shores I would have. I usually always get homesick within three days of being "somewhere " else. 

Popular Posts