Who Do You Fancy In The Cup ? Melbourne Cup Day 2014

without Prejudice

All the glitz and glamour of the Melbourne Cup 2014 is about to end with a race. One race. It is so Aussie and so iconic it seems to get better and better every year.

My Mother died, today, aged 53, so it's a day for our Family, we will never forget. But she loved a race, especially The Melbourne Cup, the horses and the celebration.

Some of her last words were,

" Who Do You Fancy For The Cup.? "

I fancy

Mutual Regard

Lucia Valentina

Unchain My Heart

I am saying this at 12.30 pm and the race starts at 3pm.

Mutual Regard for the name.

Lucia Valentina as it reminds me of my middle name and for my Maternal Grandmother, Lucy Wilsher.

Unchain Mt. Heart for both Mum and Dad, he who sang it and she who loved it


I probably won't get a Winner, I am not a gambler, but you have to be in it the Melbourne Cup. It's fun.

So even though it's a sad anniversary day, we celebrate as that is exactly what my beautiful Mother, Natalie Bruckshaw, no middle name, a genius and exacting Mother, a Lady,  would have wanted for us.

" Kids, " she used to say, " I should have had a Dozen "

She had seven.

and was funny, irreverent, could not give a shit type of Mother. She simply expected the best and quite often " Got It "  she stepped off the edge of the World on Melbourne Cup Day 1977. Just quietly and in her own inimitable style.

I have no idea what was going through her mind, she was going to the T.A.B, she said to my brother in law, after asking what he fancied in the Cup, or vice versa, I can't quite remember all the details. And I don't want to.

I know she was very ill.

But today we will toast her with sparkling mineral water as most of us sibs don't drink, nor want to. I used to but ended up way too drunk as I drank it like lemonade, and ended up, driving or vomiting or passing out. And then never touch it for months. So I gave in, joined my sibs and became tee total as my proddy parents were.

I never saw my Mother and Father, drink, ever, when I was a child. Smoke like trains, yes,but never ever drink. Dad gambled, horses mainly, smoked, and was highly unfaithful. He was a Muso, after
all. But all in all he was a great Dad.

As a Dad.

And she was schizophrenic at times, war damaged, lost a Son, suffered Graves Disease after the last baby was born when she was 42 and was pretty much affected for the last 7 years of her life. Then she became manipulative, scary and cunning. Her brain simply broke down. And she suicided sending us into years of wondering why.

But today we will remember her pride of us, we her kids,

love you Mum xxx

Update After 3pm. Bummer, none of my horses came anywhere, in fact I think they are still running. Typical ! Lol

Popular Posts