The Cure---Age Difference In Relationships

Without Prejudice




Clint exhausted on a rare day off. 


His feet hanging over the end of the double bed.
I'm 5' 1"

My Greek God, One of the sweetest, most gentle men I have ever met. After kissing a lot of frogs, I have found my Prince Charming. I am soooo blessed. 



I have known him since he was born. An acquaintance thought she was barren after 10 years of trying to have another baby. She already had a girl of ten and she and her hubby had reconciled themselves to no more children. Then a miracle occurred and two little boys were born to them in quick succession. They were beyond delight. They were ecstatic.

We hadn't seen the pair for a while but were invited to a BBQ to celebrate the boys baptism. It was a perfect day, hot, blue skied, the spit roast smelt divine and there was cold beers and wine a plenty. I enjoyed playing with my four little girls attending to their needs and talking my head off to everyone else. 

I didn't get out much in those days in Keysborough, a new suburb built over what used to be vast market gardens. It was the late seventies, a time of sepia coloured innocence and fun. Young families had invaded Keysborough as land and house packages were cheap, we paid just $17,500
for a four bedroom home with ensuite.

The adjacent suburb Springvale South, in those days was the slightly posher place to live and Dingley which was a few miles away was only for the really wealthy. We were all struggling young couples who married young and had kids young.

I wandered inside the house and finally was able to meet the two little miracle boys. Cute as buttons and very cheeky. Their Mum was Croatian and Dad was a New Zealander. He was gregarious, loud,
funny, loved a drink and a smoke and more than loved the horses which he never did very well
with. But he was a hard and willing worker and his wife was exactly the same.

Most of us had mortgages and bills and dreams of establishing a garden so we had to work rather than stay home with little kids. My sister in law minded mine while I went to work in Chadstone which was miles from home but I was young and had heaps of energy.

The oldest little boy peeked out at me from the doorway to the boys bedroom and I will never forget his eyes laughing out at me as he threw a toy at me. I peeked in to their room and both of them were giggling their heads off and totally destroying the room. I tried to engage them as I adore kids but they weren't interested and as I left the room in defeat they raced up behind me and shut the door.

Flash forward thirty years and my older brother's best friend came on my doorstep one hot day with a six pack of beer under his arm and a stranger in tow. My brothers friend hurried in as I held the fly wire door open wide and boomed,

" You remember Clint, don't you? My nephew? "


A six foot two Greek God stepped inside my door. I nearly died. It was the little boy that had thrown a toy at me all those years ago. I was speechless. I had one of my girls staying with me at the time. She suddenly decided to blow dry her hair and throw some makeup on. She then joined us in the backyard as we sat around the outside table enjoying cold beers and the late heat of the evening.

I put some music on and Clint came inside and joined me at the computer desk as I downloaded songs off YouTube. He liked what I liked and recognised all of them. His Dad had died at 48 suddenly and tragically and he loved his Dad's music.

We have been together now for almost nine years. I tried to send him away, but he just loves me and I am certainly not a Mother figure to him. I was paranoid about the age gap but have always had younger men since being single, for some reason. I was engaged for ten years after my child bride marriage broke down, to an Irishman, a fit young soccer player and one of the most intelligent men I ever knew.

He was 12 years younger than I with no kids.

He left his girlfriend of seven years for me but I insisted he tell his girlfriend before we started going out properly. And live with a mate for six months before I would live with him.

We are still best friends even now.

So I was used to younger men who cook and clean and work and are usually brought up by working Mothers. They are refreshing and still very active.

More to come .....












Popular Posts