Tiger Shark And Eye In The Sky

Without Prejudice

When my oldest Brother mentioned the two words,

"  Tiger Shark, "

I had replied.

" Never heard of it "

He had earlier sent me clips of My Father playing his 24 string Hawaiian guitar.

One video was of my Dad, on stage.


The images were fuzzy and dark, a mottled greyness but as soon as I heard the first few chords  of " In The Mood "  I burst into tears.

I never knew that we, his kids, had footage of my Father playing his beloved instrument. We all at some point after my fathers death bemoaned the fact that none of us had taken videos.

Or so we had thought until Ian, the returned Vietnam Vet had found some, changed the clips from Video to CD and posted them on YouTube. Ian was in the clips too.
On stage at Poowong Town Hall.



Bruckshaw, Ernie, Poowong Town Hall
You Tube


The video called Tiger Shark was of a stranger. An Indian Man playing a sixteen string Hawaiian guitar.



 I can remember being a teen and thinking it was daggiest thing ever. A Hawaiian guitar.

Dad would put it in the boot if we were going to family gatherings or parties and not even wait for

" Give us a tune, Ern"

before setting up. That's just how he was, obsessed with music and entertaining.

When Ian sent me the clip of an Indian man playing Tiger Shark on a 16 string Hawaiian guitar, I immediately knew the song


It was part of my past, a forgotten memory that sprang to life, whole, pure. Bringing with it everything that Sundays had once entailed. Church, pretty dresses, white gloves, tiny handbags, fuzzy wuzzy angora boleros. My Dad in the lounge room with we his children.

And he would play his guitar, sometimes stamping his foot for rhythm.





Popular Posts