Second Hand Rose And EBay

Without Prejudice



It's May the 12th 2015 and as per every May 12th my first call if the day is to my older Sister, Jackie. I had to take the Dinosaur phone outside to get reception and it was blowing a gale and freezing. Naturally,  I was bare footed

as

A. It's me
B. I spent a lot of my life in Queensland and I prefer bare feet to anything else.

My Sister was delighted at my call and we chatted. She said it was a gorgeous hot sunny day in South East Queensland. I tried not to weep. Among the gusts of wind that I swear come straight off the Tundra. I told her how thrilled I was at all the treasures of Australiana kitchenalia we had collected and I am now restoring.

She said

" Do it as a Business"

She and her devoted husband run a vast empire in Beenleigh and are now semi retired. She loves Business and has to be one of the most contented married women I know.

She told me as a little girl I was always a bit of a Second Hand Rose. Jackie is five and a half years older than me and can remember back to Scotland before we emigrated. Photos show her bonny as a child, thick dark haired and rosy of cheek. Pretty.

Photos of me usually showed a wispy blonde haired ratbag with a squint and freckles. Lovely

A droopy hemmed dress completes the picture.

I think I have one photo of me as a young child and My Aunt in Yorkshire has it.

Jackie also said I was always collecting things, animals, stray kids, and bringing them home. I had a " Gooby", a bedraggled old plush toy that was named after the toy in "The Shiralee ".

Before I went to school in Port Augusta I can remember walking the dirt streets and collecting " treasures" to bring home. One time it was a Cockatoo, another a kitten. We were so poor and lived in a Housing Comission house of fibro walls and the outside " loo "

I would dress dolls in white grease proof paper, strapless wedding style dresses that pleased me no end.

There were seven kids in my Family eventually, and food and clothes were scarce.

One girl at School asked me if I only had one dress. Of course she was fat, an only child and had a zillion dresses all of which made her look hideous. I went home feeling like a
Second Hand Rose. And cried.

O And my Mum did buy me some fantastic clothes on the tick at the Department Store where you could run an account. I had a new " Cossie", a white fitted tennis dress for Softball, I was Captain that year. Grade 6. I was also Head Girl. Swam squad on Thursday nights. Ran with my brothers rather than Jackie.

A freckled tomboy who hated clothes, shoes and boys in that order.

My Dad had to sit me down at 11 and brush my tangled hair. He said I was pretty. I knew he was lying as my version of pretty was my Sister and when I looked in the mirror all I saw was plain.

I don't know when I became interested in fashion, shoes and boys in that order but it rocked my world. Suddenly there were other things in life apart from athletics, study and prolific reading.

My first trip to an Op Shop was a cringe worthy event for me. But I found an excellent pair of shoes for my toddler, a girlfriend loved  them and asked where I had bought them. I was embarrassed to tell her but she wheedled it out of me and to this day we still Oo Shop together.

I collect, I restore and I love Australiana. I love Retro. I love old houses, old furniture, old tea towels. If it's old and Australian it's mine. Except for my Men, those I like young.

My main collecting has come in the last twelve months. My former Mother In Law died and left behind so much beautiful craft, kitchen items, furniture it was a shame to let it go. And my partner in Crime, Yvette, my second oldest daughter, also known as Harold ( as In Steptoe and Son  and I am Albert ) helps me collect and restore and push myself to take some risks on purchases.

She also comes up with ideas.

Now four households of " stuff " are nestled in my unit, shed, side yards, all cleaned, restored and ready for selling on Ebay. Or I will get a sign out the front that says Licenced Second Hand Dealer. Australiana a speciality. Just beautiful.



Popular Posts