Losing Weight and Dr Oz. Part Two

Without Prejudice

So as a child our diet consisted of lots of carbs as they were cheap. Bread, buns, stodgy English food, fat on bread, from the drippings of the roast. No sweet double triple Olive Oil from Italy, good old lard in a white knob. Dad did our breakfasts on a Sunday, porridge, Shredded wheat, with milk and sugar. Then bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, baked beans, half mashed and half left whole, bread, butter, hot tea.

Porridge was a staple made The Scottish way, with water a good pinch of salt, topped with full cream milk, and sugar. The first time I had porridge at someone else's house it had no salt, no sugar and thin watery milk. It was ghastly and I couldn't eat it. Luckily we were seldom if ever allowed to stay at other people's houses so getting used to others food was never much of an issue.


When I was 12 and pretending to be 11, so that I was squeezed into a half fare boarding The Ellenis to return to the UK I had suddenly grown a bust. It was the first time I became conscious that I had a female form. Two days after I turned 12 a man had followed me in the town of Mornington on The Peninsula, Victoria. I had turned down his offer of getting in to a car with him by saying I would report him to the Police. I didn't.

On the ship a Greek Officer paid me a lot of attention, my parents were very honoured for me to be singled out. He was the Breakfast Captain and he taught me limited Greek and that what I thought the Greeks were eating was not ice cream and grapes but feta and olives. Morning after morning he would greet me with a Kalimera, let me join my parents at their breakfast table and not the Children's one. I felt very special until he tickled me on the fanny and that was the end of any friendliness from me.

In Yorkshire I ate for Australia, never getting enough of stodgy English food. But I exercised, swimming, dancing, gym, Hockey, trampolining, walking, running so didn't start to put on weight until I discovered "boys " and stopped exercising. My Gym Mistress said I had the type of shape that had to exercise, but I ignored her. So in the U.K. I put on weight and I hated it. I returned to Australia a Yorkshire Pud "

I lost the weight but it took a while back in the country of Oz. I walked to work and back and limited my eating and obsessively weighed myself every day. There were huge scales at Myers in Chadstone, inside the foyer of the Ladies Room and I watched the scales go down, down, down. It took me 18 months and then I became pregnant with my first baby. I once again ate for Australia and put on three stone.

I was pregnant the second time after the first baby was three months old. My Doctor insisted I hardly put on weight this pregnancy and had me weighed every visit by his receptionist who looked like Mrs Danvers from Rebecca. A scary lady. I watched what I ate and by the time I had my second baby walked out of hospital 8st 4lb. Was I happy ! And my Doctor was very happy with me.

Two more pregnancies, three stone weight gain each time. Back to 8st 4lb. I continued at that weight for a good few years. I danced, I ran, I skipped rope. Then a girlfriend and I tried the Atkins diet with lots of protein and no carbs. I was 7 st 7lb and looked in the mirror and still thought I was fat. I was skeletal just as I had been as a child. Almost anorexic, food no longer my comfort I had taken to Alpine Lights and Tab soft drink.

As I grew older I was unhappily married and put on scads of weight, never being able to shift it. By the time I hit menopause early I was 84 kgs and the wearisome thought of trying to lose thirty kilos was a terrifying thought. I grew comfortable with my fat. I wanted to just stay as I was, divorced, a Mummy. Once I grew hot at work and went to Kmart and bought a new top. In virtually Crimpeline, the fat ladies staple. It was a rotten moment.

Still I did nothing about it. I figured I was the way I was and that was it. I somehow never saw myself as fat. I walked, no difference. I decided that if and ever I was thin again I would admire it, rejoice in it but I could never ever see it happening. I liked my food and lots of it and I had been three stone overweight for twenty years.



Popular Posts