The Flat Pack House

Without Prejudice

Update 11.09.2013, my daughter tells me you can now get one from Bunnings for $20,000. Unbelievable. And 3 years down the track from when I received my one bedroom unit, still love ! I love being close to a big family but not under the same roof. I don't bug them and they don't bug me, how did we achieve it ? Strict boundaries, a willingness to make it work and a lot of hard yakka xoxo


My original article...........

Better Homes and Gardens recently featured a flat pack house that you can buy from Bunnings. $45,000 and they deliver it and it comes in sections that should only take a week to asssemble. My one bedroom took a week to assemble, Yvette had to entertain the builders for a week and it was ready. The connections took the longest, Gas, Electricity and I have a separate bill for both.

This year I have met so many people that either have a studio in the backyard or share a property. One lady in Camberwell called it her "Shoebox" bulit behind her daughters house and her Grandkids. Her "Stupid idiot" of an ex had run off with his secretary. She laughed as she told me as she took me up the road to the Millionaire Hot Seat audition.

She said she loved her life, he had busted up with the secretary and wanted to come back to her but she was happy with her life and had moved on. Another 82 year old shared a property with her Son In Law and daughter. A beautiful unit on half an acre. After I received mine, a friend applied as she heard about mine through a family friend. She has breast cancer and has a unit the same as mine in her families house yard. She has made hers beautiful the same as I have mine.

When she needs her healing time she has her own beautiful space to retire to. Men and women can get them and they are yours for life. And can be relocated if necessary at no cost. A non family member might have to pay for the connections, but I am sure even that won't be expensive.

The cost is a quarter of your income so mine works out to 56 a week and if I go back to full time work the price is pegged at a $100.

We have such big blocks of land in Australia. And it can be put anywhere in Victoria free of charge and does not count as a roof line restriction as it is moveable. I love mine as it is it's whole separate space for me and my privacy. I can shut the door and not hear anything from the main house. Just as well as it contains 8 boys and their Mum. Always hectic.

But when I want a hug or kiss I just go in and hug a child and talk freely with Yvette and then retreat to my peace and quiet. We share birthdays, high days and holidays. I don't go in her house univited nor does she in mine. I love it so much more than having a big house. As it is I am constantly adding to it or redecorating. Spring has driven me into a frenzy of cleaning, which I love anyway.

To be continued

Popular Posts