Music of My Life .

Without Prejudice

It's my love in life, that and writing. Music heals like nothing else. It makes me brave, makes me cry, fills my soul with a hope and richness like nothing else. It's associated with people and events. My soul. My heart, my mind.

Ever since I was a little girl music has surrounded and inspired me. I was lucky to have a Dad that was a true musician. He sang and played a 24 string Hawaiian guitar on a four legged pedestal. He could read and write music and I hero worshipped him for it.

At home we were like a family of Glee singers. First hymns from Sunday School, Cavalry and Jesus loves me. Then came Tennessee Ernie Ford and Patsy Cline, Perry Como. Dad was good. I loved watching him getting ready for a gig. All baby faced and shaving cream and a dab if it on my nose as I watched him. Long black pants with a shiny stripe on the side. Highly polished black shoes.

My Dad was music, it fulfilled him. Loved him and he it. My Mum, not so much. To her men went down the mines and brought home a steady wage. She never went to see him play and on Sunday afternoon rehearsals stayed in the kitchen as we kids gathered around him in the lounge room. His adoring acolytes.

His song will always be "In the Mood" by Glenn Miller to me.

I heard it on ships as he entertained. Or Working Men's Clubs in the U K.

My Sister Jackie will always be " Non Je Regrette Rien", No Regrets, originally by Shirley Bassey. She belted out a song like no other, a veritable Little Miss Dynamite. She was tiny but has a voice that is large and emotive and she became someone else on stage. I loved her bravery then, playing to audiences from age 14, and I love it now. And if I ever get married again I wil insist she sing.

My Mums song will be "It's Not Unusual" by Tom Jones, who she first saw on Top Of The Pops in the 60's and immediately said he was going to be famous, one day. She was so right
. He leans back into himself and uses his voice effortlessly. A man truly blessed. Being welsh probably helps. His voice an instrument.

Ian my brother will always be Jesus Christ Superstar, the entire concert. He brought the whole tape back from Vietnam and we played it non stop on our reel to reel tape all that Summer.

George is everything just about. But I think I would have to say, Dylan's Blowing In The Wind or Kris Kristoferson's Casey's Last Ride. All of Dylan and Kristofferson, Cat Stevens.

David would be Paranoia by Ozzie Osbourne

Helen , Otis Reddings, These Arms Of Mine.

Neville would be Charlie Rich, When We Get Behind Closed Doors or Frank Sinatra and Seasons.

Gilly would be New Kid In Town.

Clint,  Johnny and Mary by Robert Palmer.

Deb would be Deboridah by T. Rex.

Yvette, Little Red Corvette

Winn, my brother in law, would be Ray Charles. You Don't Know Me

Alena would be Bon Jovi, Living On A Prayer.

Lauren Sweet Child Of Mine, Patience, by the Gunners and Free Falling, by Tom Petty and Bimbo by Jim Reeves.

Kerry Cue, the Angels, A Long Line.

And for me

Johnny and Mary, reminds me of my empty marriage.

David Meece, We are the Reason, reminds me of Kyle, my oldest grandson.

Bob Dylan's To Make You Feel My Love, for all the heart aches.

Free falling for Bali 1989.

Mull Of Kintyre for my Scottish homeland.

Yahoos Dont Go, for my British Mum. Born in Wakefield.U.K.

I will always be a Muso in my heart. I wish I could play an instrument or sing well, but I don't


But I listen, appreciate, love, from  Deep Purple, Mettalica, Moody Blues to Adele,  best version of I Will Always Love You, Dolly Parton. I've been lucky enough to see Louis Armstrong, Roy Orbison, Shirley Bassey, Robert Palmer, Dire Straits, the Brothers Gibb in our lounge room, now the Bee Gees, lovely boys at the time.

Pink Floyd, twice, all live and all good. I've seen Bob Dylan, who I adore. Dolly Parton was exceptional as was Robert Palmer and Floyd. I also saw Demi's Roussos, The Magic Flute, opera in London. Christy Moore, the Highway Men. Jose Feliciano, a blind God. So many artists. And all the while, my Dad would be beside me in Spirit, urging me to Listen. Listen to the phrasing of Sinatra, listen to the silences, the notes, the beauty of a pure voice.

Still listening, Dad, and always will be,

Love Nette xx













Popular Posts