A Shocking Truth

Without Prejudice

I met my doppelgänger today, my look alike, my shadow. I was in a murderous mood but she shook me out of it, set me back on my heels, stunned me and I left her company so grateful for my ordinary, unexceptional, single life.

My Monday started with a mood I couldn't shake off. It was Monday, I was feeling ungrateful, shitty livered, ( the dreaded spots on the liver my Mother had warned me about ) restless and feisty. Well I really wanted to kick a certain child up the backside, but it's always been my living situation that has stopped me.

I was contemplating that kick when I saw a square set of 60's Christmas Lights that drew me to them. Placed carefully on the nature strip in front of decent old furniture. I crossed the road and went to inspect and a small grey haired lady literally exploded out of the front door of the house.

" Could I look at your "stuff" ? " I almost was able to utter, before the lady raised her hand in acquiescence and shouted across the distance between us,

" No worries, go right ahead, take it all, it's no good to me "

She was at my side in a nano second. Talking all the while.

She had an old fashioned grey bob haircut,  a non descrip fawn coloured dress, sensible sandals. We fell into easy conversation about collecting, kids, hobbies while the thirty two degree heat cooked us a little. Turned out we both liked the same things, had the same amount of kids. I thought she was well into her seventies.

Our shared passion was our wonderful, beautiful, perfect grandkids. We both agreed we should have had grandkids first and not their parents. ( Only joking )

Her name started with a J as did mine, we had both been married young, 17, me and 18 her. Turned out the house was her daughter and son in laws and she had been working all weekend with them to load up the skip ready for moving. She abided in Chadstone normally with her hubby and Mother In Law.

The house was her Mother in Laws.  The couple were treated as permanent guests and had been there quite a few years. The M.I.L. was quite sharp with my faux twin but super lovely to the Son. Syrupy. The 89 year old had broken a bone or two falling over mowing the lawn.

The hubby had depression. He lost his job a few years ago, and took to his bed. She The other J had had enough and was leaving both Mother and Son and moving to Cranbourne on HER OWN. In a unit all by herself. I asked about her husband, as to how he would cope without her. He can stay with his Mother, she said.

He was her second husband and a drip, a mommys boy who couldn't untie the apron strings. She had taken care of others all her life and was breaking out, breaking up, breaking free. She wanted what she wanted and that was that.

I listened to her carefully,

"I love my kids but the only time you hear from them is if they want money or a baby sitter. They are all ok in their lives and I'm proud of them but I want my life before I get too old. I have 5 diseases"
she named them.

I was stunned.

 She had barely drawn breath in the one way conversation.

We talked of the many elderly women she and I had met who lived very happily, the greatest concentration of happy women, widows.

They had social lives, routines, favourite shows on TV, that were never missed, hobbies, grandkids and great grandkids. As long as they had their health they lived great lives, all alone.

I told her of my English aunt at 94 and great Aunt Mary, 104, still cooking their own meals, running their own council flats. She had long living relatives as well. We had so much in common it was like talking to myself.

" I hope you don't mind if I ask how old you are, J", I questioned.

Turns out she was three years younger than me.

I just looked at her reflectively.

I had thought she was at least mid seventies.

And I realise I am now classified as elderly. Old. Grow a beard and fade into the background. I looked down at my outfit. Denim cut off shorts, a low cut black tee showing half my bra and a dark green pair of Haviaanas. The footwear de jour here in downtown Cranbourne East.

My hair is longish and blonde and tied up in a messy high pony tail.

I still listen to Metallica for God's sake. And Black Sabbath. I know every single line of dialogue in Rocky Horror Picture Show. I love Teen Spirit and Lady Ga Ga alongside Etta James and Fleetwood Mac.

But there she stood my doppelgänger, my 1 of 72 people in the world exactly like me. ( Statistics say that in the world population now, there are 72 people exactly like us, therefore we are not that special. )

And she said as she waved me off,

" Never marry again, ever. Live with a guy but never ever marry again. "

I drove off with a cheery bye bye, ( hers, not mine ) as I was still in shock. She was what I thought was elderly and yet was three years younger than me.

I went home and kicked the child, figurately, up the arse. Dragged my car back she has been utiling for the last six months and told her to stop her bullying little ways, her and dead head 20 year younger partner.

He's of the Y generation she says, as in

WHY, should I work.?

WHY, should I get a licence ?

WHY,can't I sleep all day and play computer games at night ?

Told her I will be forever single and living on her property at the back forever but shall completely ignore her as if she doesn't exist and get on with my " non life " as she likes to call it.

This always happens when the lover child gets evicted and is once again homeless. I suddenly become superfluous. My car doesn't nor my money. But I was nice about it. The kick up the arse thing, I mean.

After all she will know one day what I know.

" Dont tell your granny how to suck eggs !"



Popular Posts