How To Get On A Game Show

Without Prejudice

Apply.

Only joking, but do apply if you think you have what it takes.

It's not an easy a process as you might think. Everyone is an armchair expert in the comfort of your own lounge room when nerves are not there to stuff you up.

But, one day, if you apply, you might just receive a phone call and you can be grilled immediately. Suddenly you are on the spot and questions that seem so easy are not, you can't think and you try to extrude down the phone, your real personality, charm, wit. Then nothing.

You wait.

I waited, received an email to choose times. Days later another email stating the day was full up. Hopes dashed and then within minutes another email, another day.

I went on Doctor Google and found some web sites on general knowledge, not too bad.Quizup is good but some of the questions are repetitive and some of your " opponents" can really be auto bots that already know the answers to the first four questions.

I guessed something was up as a " beginner" ( with a legit photo ) could beat me hands down with questions, obscure and hard that came from my baby boom era and yet look to be aged 17. I couldn't understand it until I went on line and looked it up. Also for a small fee others could " buy" answers. Gypped again,

So emboldened I tried some harder sites, a Learned Something, a Study something and Scrumpal or Something. One I could not join as it was by invitation only and carried a yearly fee. I thought I was being really clever as the sites were mentioned in one of the Quizzers blogs of the very show I had applied to.

" Ha Ha, " I thought, " I am one up on the Quizzer"

Well that was until I went to some of the sites in question ( no pun intended) and nearly died of shock. I thought I was reasonably intelligent but I was a nothing, a cypher, nada, compared to the people on those sites.

On one I clicked on music. No general questions like who wrote Knocking On Heavens Door? This was full on crochets and quavers and e flats. If I had been a professor of Music from Uni or a bearded, sandalled, nerd expert on Beethoven I might have swum not sunk like a stone to the bottom of the answer ladder.


I could not believe there were literally hundreds of thousands of people in the world that were answering these questions but were actually lapping them up and chatting to each other each day about the questions. I felt a little sick. If the person I might go up against was a member of these sites I was going to be up the proverbial creek minus an oar.

Who were these people ? Members of Mensa ?

I decided I had a fair general knowledge, one of those annoying memories that can retain useless tiny trivia and can't remember where I put the tomato sauce bottle and was desperate for money. Three
things that stood me in good stead.


This is the second game show ( when I get through) I will have been on, and this time I am looking at the long game. They are a lot of fun, the people are lovely and they feed you.
Can't ask for more than that


Can't wait xxxx




Popular Posts