Happy Birthday To Moi and Shane Warne

Without Prejudice

A friend of one of my daughters used to go out with Shane Warne when he was about 18, she said he was an arrogant A** hole, then. Today we hear the titbit he and the ever in love Liz Hurley and he might have split up. Awww, all that love and P.D.A. Out for a duck.

Tomorrow is my birthday, I am so ancient, I feel suddenly like wearing cardi's and sitting down to knit. But I am sooooo happy. Finally I feel like I have come of age. I love where I live, I love my family and friends and I love my life.

Apparently we are so so, up to the age of 44 and then we getter better and better until in our seventies we are the best ever. Most content, most confident, most appreciative about our lives. I have noticed that in the last four years or so I have being growing more and more content. I don't need a lot in the way of material possessions, I have everything I could possibly want.

I try and lessen my carbon footprint by consuming less and recycling more. The only thing I indulge in is too many clothes and shoes, but I can't resist. I live in my fab little one bedroom unit, which has four rooms and is enough for anyone and I can clean it all day every day. I have no idea how come one person can make so much mess.

Maybe it's the little stealth bombers coming in all the time, Acer and Cruz, aged almost 5 and 3, both adorable and they love Nana. That's because I dole out apples and education in equal measure and they love both.

John, the next door neighbour, who was moving out, yesterday with his mate, Michael, was shocked when I told him how many kids my daughter has.

" God, I haven't got any " he said " and She's got how many ? "

He was picking at burn holes in the carpet with a crochet hook and had on hand an industrial size bottle of liquid glue. Both the guys are single and were given to many rowdy parties with lots of alcohol. We didn't care as they were such personable guys, had helped us out in the past and were just such fun. Michael was not bad to look at either with his habit of going shirtless most of the time. I might be ancient, but I'm not dead.

I asked John if he was ever going to have any and he snorted with derision.

" Nuh, " He replied, digging harder with the crochet hook.

" I like to drink " he said as if the fact was a revelation to him.

I told him that the happiness levels of those without kids were slightly better than those with......

Until you hit about 80, then all your friends have died and then you want kids and Grandkids to be your support, friends, your company and your legacy in life. Children are all the legacy most of us will be leaving behind when we die. Not all of us are Famous scientists, celebrities, peace makers, we are just ordinary human beings prone to all the weaknesses of human nature. We are not super beings.

I met an old man once, who had opted for the no woman, no kids rule. A woman had betrayed him when he was young and he was so affected he would not chance it again.  I met him when he was in his 80's a tall robust Jewish man who had just had a back operation. The house was in a more expensive part of Cheltenham, but it was sparse and dusty and gloomy.

His bathroom hadn't been cleaned in fifty years by the looks of it and tiles fell off and shattered on the floor as I cleaned them.  He told me as I scoured his bathroom that he had been living in Queensland and he had loads of friends and they all died. So he came back home to his old house in Melbourne and had no one to rely on. Hurt his back, then an operation and rehabilitation and a social worker came in to see him.

She unearthed one female cousin who then came in to see the old Uncle with her family and kids. Then she organised me, home help, the tiles were fixed and hand rails put on. A lady did his shopping for him, he had meals on wheels and he had to do certain rituals before he would let me in the kitchen. It was weird but he was delightful, loved an argument and would throw opinions at me as he was making me a cuppa. Such a sweetie.

I met several men like that, older, on their own. Lonely is what I thought.

To be continued.........


Popular Posts