Repetitive Strain Injury--A Real Life Story

Without Prejudice

I remember seeing two ladies in the past with their wrists in casts from R.S.I. My feeling at the time was one of disbelief. Shirkers, I thought. One was having an operation and still I thought, bull s**t. I had weeks of seeing the same lady on the train as I went to GMH in Fishermen's Bend. A long torturous journey from where I lived at Noble Park.

She and I would while the time away, chatting, her destination was a long way from the city on the Northside. She told me she was in light duties and only worked four hours a day, three days a week.i wondered at her diligence about even bothering to go. I was on $26 an hour for 40 hours a week so my limited contract was worthwhile.

But, ignorantly, I figured she was hoping for a Workers Compensation payout and the trips and expense were worthwhile. The way to the station was always in darkness by the time we both walked to it, early in the morning. The lights of the station in Springvale lit up warmly welcome, a little haven for the early morning crowd.

There was a snack bar, toilets, waiting rooms and plenty of seats on the platform. But none on the inside and the train had only travelled two stations. She and I ended up hanging by straps until at least 9 stations later. I asked about her injury, the operation sounded pretty gruesome and still I thought it was a mere trifle of a complaint.

Three weeks ago, impatient me, could not wait for the males in the house to move a heavy timber outdoor table. We had recently acquired a new German Sheperd pup, who is apparently only five years old in the head in dog years. She's a good size and when she first arrived was trying to break down every barrier we blocked her in with.

So, naturally, I didn't even think about my bad back injury I had twelve months ago. And as I pushed and dragged the table in to position, I was feeling no pain. No, that happened the next day when I went to stand up. I sort of semi rolled out of bed onto my hands and knees and groaned.

" What an effing stupid idiot " I thought.

Oh God, not again, but this time it came down to muscle sprain rather than my lower back. Still hurt, but. Running inside to answer the home phone I then slipped on the tiniest heels imaginable and rolled my left ankle, so I was at least crippled on both sides. I cannot lie still healing, so while resting my injuries, I put my IPad in between my thumb and first finger. A nice little resting spot I thought.

Two days I wrote like that, instead of sitting the IPad on its stand.

I now have R.S.I. In my wrist and it hurts like a son of a b***ch. I have had it strapped with a stable splint. Take anti inflammatory tablets and it's been almost three weeks. I un strap it at night only when I go to bed. I humbly apologise to anyone with a R.S.I. Injury, that I didn't believe them, and it's my left wrist ! I never realised how much I used my left hand. I wash dishes one handed, type one handed, vacuum, sweep the floor, it is not fun.

Hopefully it's just a matter of time and rest. I do however have a heavy wrapped wrist that would shatter someone's jaw if they come up to me and say R.S.I is a myth. Lol x

Love Janette


Popular Posts