Different Life Paths

Without Prejudice




My ex husband and I 1979, four girls and at the Zoo for the day. He hated " Family Do's and preferred to work 7 days a week. We certainly don't look happy as our oldest child takes the photo. At least he has his hand at my waist, time would come when he didn't like such affection.

We were so mismatched but share a history of a long and significant time in world times, personal times. I am so loyal but understand now that we were meant to be together to have four lovely girls and then move on. Separately.

I loved him, worshipped him. He could work like no man I have ever seen. We had a good life financially, but were poles apart in other ways. I wanted a big noisy messy family like the one I had come from. He wanted success, money and only knew work, work and more work.

I wanted that for him too, anything as long as he was happy. But the more money he made the unhappier he became. He often said I should have married a " Myron", a 9 to 5 man who would go to the library with me.

I loved him well enough as he did me. But apart from the kids we had little in common. I realise that now. We went from the late sixties to the start of the nineties. And would split up get back together so many times it was dizzying. But we stuck together until the end, the last year being the worst as is the case in so many marriages.

Then we went through the divorce from hell, (aren't they all ? ) and now after 25 years can at last talk to each other. I rang him the other day and said how sorry I was about his Mum who has terminal cancer. We just talked as if all those years apart ( 25 ) never happened. He always respected my opinion.

He said he was bitter over it. I said you have a lovely life, I have a lovely life.

And it's true. He has a new family of two boys, a wife that adores him. We never had a boy and I often wondered if that bothered him, being such a macho male. He said no, but I wonder. I never had a son and now have eight grandsons and one great grand son and I idolise them.

Our youngest daughter died twenty five years ago and we split five months after that fact. She came to me in a vision eighteen months later. She said,

" You and Dad weren't meant to be together, you are on different paths in life "

It was like something out of a movie script. So if I ever felt any inclination to return to the old addictive behaviour of the past her words echo through my brain.

Now we at least can discuss the kids and grand kids if we so choose. Otherwise we let sleeping dogs lie. Memories will always be in our minds but we are both happy and in the end that is what really matters.

Popular Posts