Heidy Bruckshaw R.I.P.---The News Unexpected

Without Prejudice

It came, the news unexpected.

Yesterday.

I spoke to my two Sisters on Saturday night. One a nurse, said she was " comfortable ".

My older Sister wanted her moved to palliative care. Too much for my brother to continue nursing her at home.

She was so young. Not expected to make her 45th Birthday in December. Five days after my oldest daughter.

But a text yesterday shattered the thought that once in palliative care, she would rally. That we would gain more " time ".

It was not to be. Only a day or two in palliative care and she was gone.

She passed peacefully away in her sleep about 6am.

She looked " peaceful" my Sister said.

" Asleep, just asleep" she said.

In one way I was glad she was free from pain at last, but sad, so sad, for a young life taken too soon.

A vivacious full of life woman. A mother, a wife, a daughter, a sister in law, a friend.

She was always a bundle of energy, always cleaning, cooking, running a business.

She loved my brother beyond measure.

She had lost a daughter as a child, like me. We talked of it once. Me, bawling my eyes out. She said she had time to prepare. A little brave girl of just eight or so. To cancer.

She died the same way, with time to prepare. What Music she would have at her funeral.

She was prepared but the rest of us weren't.

I cried, so very sad at the news unexpected.

No matter how prepared you are, the final news came as a shock.

Too soon.

I think of my brother and family so far away and I am not there to share their grief.

How they all flew to me all those years ago, within hours of my daughters shocking, sudden death.

The news unexpected. It was in the papers, a mystery how she drowned.

But they flew to me within hours, my wonderful family.

And I can't do the same for them.

I had said I could not take another funeral after my Mother In Law died. Every funeral a reminder of my loss. I was a basket case at my Mother In Laws funeral. Sobbed all day after. Made a promise to myself and others I would not go again, to a funeral.

People thought I was a professional mourner. I felt then " I can do it no more."

But if he needs me I will go.

Put aside my fear of flying, take my winter depression with me to Summer Clime.

I was pregnant with my daughter who died when I flew to my Mothers funeral.

Another shock.

I cried when I saw her unprepared body.

And was dry eyed at the funeral.

My Mother had also lost a child. And was delusional before she died. Saying she had lost him in " Woolies ", my brother.

Heidi is with her baby now.

Another star in the firmament. God bless her and keep her.

You were loved.






Popular Posts