Million Dollar Minute---The Real Deal

Without Prejudice


I have always loved Trivia. I never ever thought it would earn me money, however. I used to watch Million Dollar Minute and think like so many sitting at home.

" I could do that."

But I never thought seriously about going on any TV show, way too shy.

But then some rotten druggie ice addict stole my beautiful Skyline. And that was it.

Why it wasn't insured is a long boring story which I won't go into here, suffice to say it wasn't.

I am pretty sure I know who it was but am not going to chase it up. They will get theirs in the next life I am sure.

I didn't cry wail or gnash my teeth, I just sucked it up.

But I needed another car. I went without one for months, walked, begged rides, took taxis and in the end swallowed my pride and asked a family member for a short term loan. I had some money saved and was happy to purchase a Mitsy.

So when Million Dollar Minute answered my request for an audition I jumped at the chance. I was determined to come away with some money to pay back my loan.

The audition was fun and I took my daughter with me. I made her swear to secrecy. She was shocked when I was called out as one of the contenders after 20 fairly hard multiple choice questions.

I remember she gazed at me in shock and said one word.

" Mum "

The people running the auditions were fun, young and very welcoming. It was all held in a hotel in town and we had coffee, tea, mints, gratis.

The other successful contenders and I were allowed to practice on the buzzers and vie off against each other. We were told the show would be in touch and my daughter and I left, quite happy, and said nothing to anyone.

Shortly after I received an offer to appear. I live in the South Eastern suburbs, the studio in South Melbourne and was told to be there at 7.30 am. Shriek!

I was also told to bring some changes of outfit.

After a restless nights sleep I arose at 5am. Still foggy from lack of sleep and a dream in which I won nothing. I packed a reasonably hefty bag with outfits and a pair of heels, makeup, toothbrush, toothpaste, the whole schmeer.

I caught a Taxi to the train station, copped a train all the way to town, walked at mile or two to the studio, hoiking my bag over my shoulder. Naturally I was lost within the first five minutes. I have a terrible sense of direction. Eventually arriving out of breath and a bit dishevelled.

The people greeting us were the same delightful crew from the auditions. They had laid on breakfast for us. And we had time to practice and loosen up. I was in the Green Room with Andrew who went on to be the first ever contestant to win a Million Dollars.

Then it was my turn, I teetered into the studio in high heels, nervous as a cat.

Simon Reeve was there, a consummate professional and all round lovely guy. Handsome, tall, beautifully dressed.

Then it was Game on.

It went so quick and I won $1,500 and was thrilled to bits.

I caught a Taxi home and went face plant down on the bed, absolutely buggered.

The broadcast at first wasn't aired and I panicked as I did tell a couple of male friends and they told me if it wasn't aired I wouldn't get paid.

Months went by and I heard nothing. I emailed the show and they told me it wasn't due for airing yet

Andrew went on to his stupendous win. Another couple of people I had met in the Green Room, appeared on the show, still nothing.

I had thought if it was going to be aired it would be February or March.

I kept quiet about it.

In late July, out if the blue, after I had given up, an email arrived. I was going to be aired within the week.

I was determined I was not going to watch. I had no desire to see myself on TV.

I did text a few friends to say I was going to be on.

I ended up watching a little of the Episode, minus my glasses and peeking at the screen from behind my fingers. I realised nerves had made name look like I was grinning like a rictus.

I also realised I could have won if I had gone for the long game and taken the points and not the $1,500. But I was happy.

The cheque arrived today. Yay.

I would thoroughly recommend it as a fun day out if you love Trivia.

As I get older it's fun to take risks you would have never dreamed of taking in the callow form of Youth. There's nothing to lose.

One friend texted me as the show was finished airing.

" Smart Ass " she said.

My brothers congratulated me and want me to go on Eddie.

As long as I can have a bucket of Valium beforehand, why not ?









Popular Posts