Australia Day 2012

Without Prejudice

The day is perfect, blue skies and sun, a soft breeze flutters the curtains, and the sounds of childrens voices reach me, squealing in anticipation of a fun day. I can hear the thump thump of heels bouncing up and down on the trampoline and the "possessed" toy activates all by itself. A toy car that spontaneously starts to emit music and we took ages to find the source of the unexpected noise.

The yard is completely spotless of course as I spent yesterday doing it, 6 hours with water breaks. I scoured the toys left abandoned from earlier play, sweep the leaves, poison the weeds, white oil the trees and shrubs. Spray surface spray on every available surface, under the red wood table and bench seat, sanded edged so the boys don't get splinters.

I am not just a helicopter parent, grandparent. I am a cyclone parent and grandparent. Mine and Yvette's purpose to raise healthy boys, Australian boys, that one day will drive this country forward and we two women raise them on our own. The logistics of raising 7 boys to men, aged 22 down to 15 months. Luckily we have plenty of help with male role models and other strong women, just like us. The boys welfare our purpose in everything we do.

The first boy to appear for fun and enjoyment will be a plump little morsel of smiling delight, Cruz. Even at 15 months he know exactly what he wants and is determined to get it. He loves a hug and a kiss and any treat going and wants to plonk his fat nappy filled bum on my couch. From there he looks around, happy with his cleverness at finally getting in the door to Nanny's unit.

Next will come Acer, a 3 year old white blonde dynamo of naughtiness but he's getting better. He loves to get in the unit too and wants a "nake" or a "chocwat", none to be had as Nanny being good,

he is also delighted to be allowed in and points and gasps "ooooohhhhh" at prints on the walls, trying to delay his stay. Cruz never stays long, he has a yard to investigate, and Acer follows and I hear them trying to turn on the back tap and call out,
"Turn that off", as I write.
Dead silence.
I rise and make sure the paddling pools are empty of bugs, as Acer will shriek,
"Pida",

the boys all hate spiders and creepy crawlies and that is probably the only way you can tell they are raised by women. They all hate bugs and spiders just like women. But then I have seen grown men quake at the sight of a mouse. Joining me on top of the couch and shrieking. Grown men, so funny !

Next will come Kyan, a child of rare beauty, sweetness and profoundness. I could hold him forever and never be tired. he is old for his years and we took a journey together in 2011, one fraught with danger and trauma for him and he is old enough to remember. he and I formed a secret alliance last year. He would pretend to hate me at times for a peaceful life and would come to me secretly when he felt anxious or threatened.

One day he was crying, scared beyone measure and I was sharp with him, not wanting to, but I had to be. I told him I would always be there for him, no matter where he was, no matter what. And one day he sat beside me and at 7 said,
"You know sometimes how I have to pretend to hate you"
"Yes"
"Well you know I am just tricking, dont you?"
"Bless you baby, of course"

So insightful at 7, and also can be a holy terror if he wants to be. He is a great boy, however and will always do well in the world as he has no hatred. He has no concept of it. Although he certainly knows when Jai is being a "bastard brother" to him. Jai's defence was that his brothers bullied him, which they did. Brock absolutely hating him for a while and vice versa. I was raised with three brothers and know the competition and fights males have.

It's never come to physical blows between them. Kyle is 22, Zach is 17, Brock, 15 and Jai 14, then Kyan 7, Acer 3 and Cruz 15 months. Thats a lot of testosterone. Yvette calls them her 14 sets of balls and she knows she has the golden ticket in life. One African man saying to her years ago when she apologised for her humble home and that the family was poor,

"But you have 5 sons, you are already Rich "

Yvette was taken aback at his point of view and looked at the boys in a different light from then on. She's taught them all to pee like men, stating

"Shake, 3 times any more than 3 shakes is a tug !"

She's meant to be a Mother to boys Yvette, as she is the biggest tomboy of all. And loves it.


To be continued :

Popular Posts