Celibate

Without Prejudice



Update : 29th April. 

He called over without calling, I was on my way out. 

He called and came over for chill time. Kids came in, game over, he had to go home.

He called, came over with a gift this time, and I told him I am celibate, haven't slept with anyone , two years.

Haven't seen him for dust. .........

My brothers were wrong ha ha 










Pictured is Clint, the Cowboy, the Cavalry, the Soother of angry moods. I have known him since before he was born, born to friends of mine after ten years of barrenness. The friends had a delightful girl they spoiled to death and ten years later two little boys came along in quick succession. The parents were delighted and shocked. Clint was the first born of the two.

I used to visit their house for BBQ's, Suzanne and Dennis, she Croatian, him from NZ. She was a born worrier, always looking at the glass half empty, he a large gregarious man always looking at the glass half full. A mad gambler, Dennis, he and my brothers friend Ivan would gamble on the horses like their was no tomorrow. Always losing.

I heard Dennis died, young, from diabetes complications. I had seen him once in the years since I had moved from Keysborough. Skinny, ill, not looking after himself. When he was diagnosed with Diabetes he took his meds for a year and then turned to Religion, taking the young Clint along to a church with him.

His God did not save him as he had hoped. 

Years later I caught up with my good friend Ivan and as we now lived in the same street in Noble Park I visited his house and he mine. We talked endlessly of the old days and one day he came knocking with a male in tow.

"You remember Clint, don't you, Janette ? " he said as a big tall stranger entered the hall with Ivan.

My eyes widened and I looked at this stranger, quiet in an "Aww Shucks " kind of a way. He was 6'2", built across the shoulders, handsome. 

I couldn't relate at first as all I could see was the cheeky little toddler who chased me around the tiny house  in Keysborough, laughing, throwing toys at me and hiding in his room. One eye peeking out at me. This stranger could not be him. But it was. And slowly we becampe attracted to each other. He to me first which I did not believe until someone else pointed it out.


He was now in his thirties.  We caught up on old times on that first occasion, he sitting at my computer as he tapped on songs that his Dad had loved. We laughed and had a little tear. My foster daughter had stayed behind to meet Clint. She decided to leave and as I urged her to stay longer she stated firmly,

" He's not interested in me, he's interested in you "

I looked at her as if she was crazy.

He was sooooo young. That was insane. I was already a Grand mother. Married at 17, grandmother at 37. Clint was single, shy but came out of his shell when we were alone. I dismissed my foster daughter's comments. How silly.  I never ever thought of him as a " male of interest ". At that time I was crazy for a ruthless businessman who was a powerful entity in my life.

Trouble was Mr Businessman was only interested in Business. I always felt when he was with me he was 110 percent with me and when gone, 110 percent gone. Incommunicative. In fact no communication at all. Clint came to see me and I always let him in and we just chatted and played music.

One day months later I wandered down to Ivan's, dressed up for Cup Day in a black silk pleated dress. There was a violent alcoholic living between my house and Ivan's and I never crossed his path after dark. All was quiet at his place as I trooped up the street in high heels. Ivan had a BBQ going and as soon as I stepped into his back yard I saw Clint.

He grinned. Slowly like the cowboy of my little girl dreams.

Later he insisted on walking me home, past the violent alcoholics house and then he gathered me up into his arms and kissed me. Like a man, not a boy at all. I gently pushed him away and ran inside my house, confused and a little tipsy. He followed me in, peeking around the door frame and still laughing, just like he did as a boy.

We both laughed and I thought what heck, threw caution to the winds and we kissed again. I leaned into his hot brown torso like a ladder left by a thief in the night. He leaned into me, shy and warm. His body was hard and firm, abs like taught guitar strings, biceps bulging. Part of my mind thinking,

"This can't be happening "


To be continued........

Popular Posts