Lovely Loretta And Losing Weight

Without Prejudice

Yesterday was the funeral of one of my best friends Son. Her only Son.

It was a celebration of his life, ended so young at 43.

His beautiful daughter aged 25 was bereft, losing both loved parents in her young lifetime.

He was a lad, a rogue, but a great father, good Son, lost to cancer before his parents.

My friend looked beautiful, dignified, strong, incandescent with rage but wanted the very best funeral for him.

She is in her sixties now but looks like a teenage girl, small, tiny, bowed in her grief. Humbled. When we worked together all those years ago we were both buxom as only English girls can be.

She went to the Union for me once. I was so grateful. She was feisty, outrageous, witty, fun loving, feisty and strong.

It was a moving ceremony, funny at times, lots of tears. Shared memories. All of us dressed up in our finest, for him, for Dean, for respect.

After the burial I had to leave, go. I had rung my girlfriend Loretta before hand, knowing I would be upset. Too many memories in Springvale Crematorium for me. So many lost loved ones, now. But the dead can teach us to live, to really live each day, celebrate every morning we wake up alive.

But I knew I needed to see my sensible friend Loretta, she can also be wicked with a wry sense if humour, as can my grieving friend. She refused to speak to her ex the entire funeral. Nor look at him. I couldn't believe it was him. I wouldn't have recognised him if I had tripped over him. He looked ashen.

So I go to the Warehouse cafe to meet Loretta and an almost stranger walked in. She has lost weight and looks completely different. I hadn't seen her for  a while. I was thrilled for her and asked her particular secret. Not eating rice during the week, she said.

Her and her husband decided to get fitter and as they are Indian and eat lots of rice, they decided to stop rice during the week. She admits she loves her food and we both agreed on that, I love my food too. But these days we love our food but love being healthy more.

I could have not been more delighted for Lovely Loretta, she glowed.

A mans self confidence tied up in his career, a woman's in her body. So if she's lost weight she's going to be feeling wonderful. Well done lovely. Xxx

Popular Posts