Transform Your Life

Without Prejudice

It is never too late to live the life you were meant to.

You can live more ethically, morally, be a more authentic person, true to yourself and not listening to others opinions of what is Your life. Your reality. It takes some soul searching, and might take some counselling and some physical hard work but after a while it becomes habit. They say habits are hard to break, break them and start afresh. Make a promise to yourself that you will do whatever it takes. And be accountable to someone so you can track your progress.

I found I wanted to transform my dwelling. I wanted my unit to reflect me. Every part of my life up to now. I wanted to say Wow every time I walked in. I wanted protection from harm, feel secure. I wanted a role in the Family I shared the property with. My family. I wanted everything and all at once but I set myself a realistic schedule to achieve it.

One year.

Three goals for twelve months. Big goals but achievable.

The first thing I transformed was my mini house. I spend a lot of time in my well built unit as I write for a living. Being small was not a problem as I like small places, less to clean and more cosy when you live on your own. I could not imagine rocketing around in a big cavernous house all by myself. Talk about feeling lonelier than you should.

So I started with my unit. I have been here almost four years and before that moved and moved, states and back, suburbs, the cost of removalists alone could have settled the National debt. I could not settle, restless, always looking for something intangible. They call it "running ". I was a mother of older girls who really didn't need a Mum full time. I hated the thought of being a nuisance, a burden.

So I made my place beautiful. Scented with candles and in the Summer, incense. Scrubbed every part of my wee home and added seventies touches as I am a lover of that particular era. A safer time for the world, a time I loved as it was when my children were little. Me the young hippy Mum with a definite style. My girlfriends I grew up with felt the same.

We were all young mothers. I was the youngest in my group of child brides, young Mums. I married at 17, which seems insane now. 4 kids at 24.

Laure's house was the best.  It was a kaleidoscope of colour and style. Indian rugs, paper lights, polished boards the colour of honey, muslin curtains of cream that blew in Summer breezes, billowing out in long trails. Tumbled brick on the outside and Lilydale Topping paths. Backing on to a park where we jogged and skipped rope.

To be continued.....

Popular Posts