April Fools Day 2013 and George Clooney

Without Prejudice

I love a great practical joke. I hear George Clooney is very good at them and spends an inordinate amount of time preparing and executing them. I decided to do one just recently and it turned out perfect. So being April Fools day, I decided to do another.

It was easy this one and took no time at all. I said I was getting married again on Facebook and after a few likes and question marks and hesitant questions I said April Fools. My nephew liked it and made no comment but did his own. He said he had discovered he had a son he never knew he had. I guess he saw the humour in mine and copied it in his own way.

I used to love it when the TV stations did April Fools Day jokes. I can remember the spaghetti harvest, spaghetti hanging from trees. I saw it in the 70s when I was a young Mum. I remember thinking that it seemed feasible as I changed two nappies and watched the news.



Spaghetti tree hoax

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Photograph of a woman harvesting spaghetti in the BBC programme
The spaghetti tree hoax is a famous 3-minute hoax report broadcast on April Fools' Day 1957 by the BBC current affairs programme Panorama. It told a tale of a family in southern Switzerlandharvesting spaghetti from the fictitious spaghetti tree, broadcast at a time when this Italian dish was not widely eaten in the UK and some Britons were unaware that spaghetti is a pasta made from wheat flour and water. Hundreds of viewers phoned into the BBC, either to say the story was not true, or wondering about it, with some even asking how to grow their own spaghetti trees. Decades later CNN called this broadcast "the biggest hoax that any reputable news establishment ever pulled."[1]


April Fools Day jokes relieve the boredom when you can't eat your way through a mound of chocolate at Easter and its a long holiday if you don't go away which I didn't this year. I would have but the weather was less than sensational and yet it's heating up again for the rest of April. Thank you, God as its also School Holidays and boys hate staying indoors.

Save for the fiery Redhead, aged 15, who is addicted to Game of Thrones as much as I am. His day was made today when Season 3 started at 4.20 pm today. Now I think about it I should have shaken him awake this morning and told him it had been cancelled. Cruel, I know, but I didn't and pranks and practical jokes are meant to be funny and sometimes cruel.

Just as a Mother teases a toddler by taking away his favourite toy and then miraculously finding it or playing hide and seek. All mothers do this in a way to teach the child about the world. That the world is not always nice or even fair and how you can learn not to react.

The boys Mum and I had some great fun with a large, realistic spider as all 7 of her boys are scared to death of spiders. They scream like girls and is often the only way you can tell the boys were raised by mainly women. We put the said spider on the path and hid. The screams were everything we wanted and we cruelly fell about laughing until our sides ached and we were mopping up tears.

What a wonderful thought it is that School Holidays are on and the boys are older teens. No more taxi-ing back and forth to school and T.A.F.E. training. Two are changing careers from medical picking to Meat Deli Handling and Forklift driving and at this stage they just want money. Aged 18 and almost 17 it is delightful to see them keen to get out of bed early.

My lovely Brother In Law said,
"A boy needs a purpose to get up every day"

For them growing up poverty struck and parish damned money is a great motivator. One wants to go to Italy and one wants to do up his car. One still works in the medical industry full time but he is 23 and has moved out to share a house with a mate. He has a baby son and I cried when he moved out as I thought we would hardly see the baby.

But he returns for Spanish Meatball nights and Easter and birthdays and when he needs willing baby sitters. His son is to die for, all smiles and three new choppers, nearly one and a constant source of delight. Even the dog gets jealous when Andrej comes over. His Dad even so young, ensures his son will never have the life that he had.

Andrej gets the best of everything, clothes, food, time, play from both his Mum and Dad. I love his Mum, as a couple they are no longer together but they are both adoring of their baby. And it shows. Lucky girl is now out of a difficult home life and is educated and working and has her own place and she loves her life.

My okdest Grandson too loves his and as I have been around him all his life, I saw his face first as I helped deliver him and knew that whatever happened I would be there for him. His parents were so young all those 23 years ago. My daughter 4 days off turning 18 and the teenage Dad just 16. The Dad was already in trouble with the law at that young age.

Kyle was not to know his Dad that well. My daughter wrongly told him when young that his Dad was dead when he was in jail at 17. He and another boy pleaded guilty to stealing 144 cars. My Grandson asked me if his Dad was dead and shocked I said, no.

He was 3 and had a little photo album he kept hidden from his Mum in his drawer. He showed me. I pointed out his other Nana and his Dad and his Aunties, Grandad, cousins. He was smart enough to keep the album hidden and smart enough to ask me about his Dad.

I will never forget the heartache and tears when he turned on his Dad at about 14, yelling down the phone at him as he rang from jail.

Why can't you just stop doing bad stuff" he said.

He was sobbing and punched the wall. He had been the Father figure to the boys for so long. Minded them, protected them, put his own young life on hold for his 4 siblings. Saw the youngest born as his Mum wanted someone close to a Father figure to be there. He ran all the way from Dandy High down to the Hospital, where we were. And he cried, rubbing his eyes almost angrily and turning away at the bad bits.

He never got to be a child, was a grown up too young. Had to cross 3 states on his own on a bus to escape being taken into care like his siblings when his Dad stuffed up once again. He was 10. Other kids made fun of his clothes and his skinny frame and now has a phobia about bad clothes and skinniness.

Neither he nor his siblings have touched drugs or alcohol. They have never even wanted to because their Dads problems are so huge, so all consuming. He will probably be incarcerated all if his life, the Dad, a recidivist, the revolving clanging door slamming in his face over and over. He can't seem to cope with the outside world but remains hopeful somehow that one day he will. He is now 40, fat chance.

I like him, my ex Son In Law, he's a likeable hopeless drug addict, although he says alcohol is his drug of choice. And I have 5 wonderful boys because of him. They have his gentle fun loving kind hearted nature and none of his addictions, Thank You God.

I have had many a run in with him over the years and he always says I am so fecking annoying but I am also fecking right. Last time he was out one day and has an AVO against him taken out by my daughter who us with a new partner. But he just turned up anyway, here at our property. Large as life. I like an idiot felt sorry for him and let him stay one night in my unit. Bug mistake. He knocked off my IPad which I had to get back.

He's a menace and a pain and I won't be feeling sorry for him or anyone again.

Happy Easter to all, happy April Fools Day 2013 and love,

Janette

Popular Posts