Craig Lowndes, My Nephew, By Marriage

Without Prejudice

13 years ago my Oldest Brothers wife, C told me her nephew was a racing car driver. She said his name was Craig Lowndes and. I said I had heard of him. That comment then went on to lead to one of the funniest incidents I was ever witness to.

I live in Melbourne and Craig lives in Queensland,  quite close to my youngest brother. That Christmas my Sister In Law, and her sister,H, Craig's Mum, were coming for a visit for Boxing Day . I was on holiday in Queensland, staying at my brothers house.

I had told my brothers and sisters in Queensland that Craig was related to C, our sister in law. They, especially my brothers, were really excited.

I knew of Craig but not being a Racing Car enthusiast I was not as thrilled as my brother when he told me that Craig and his wife were also coming for Boxing Day. My brother said his wifes sister and her husband were also invited and that the husband was a huge Craig fan.

The day dawned hot, as ever. We all rallied around and made preparations for a BBQ. All the kids in the pool having fun, screaming and laughing. My brother made sure that his brother in law was arriving after our other guests. C arrived with H and Craig and his gorgeous wife, Natalie.

We sat out in the sun at a circular table shaded from the sun under a red and white umbrella. Craig was shy, affable and sat back listening in on the conversation with a desultory smile. We found out he had started his career as a driver by being obsessed with Go Karts. It was a job he was born to, always loved going fast.

Minutes later the Brother in law arrived with his wife in tow. Introductions made all around, first names only of course. He leaned into a handshake with Craig and hesitated, took a deep breath and said, and I quote,

" Do you know you look exactly like Craig Lowndes,?"

 aaaaaaaa, Shit,"

and kept pumping Craig's hand until Craig was able to extract it.

It was a beautiful moment and we laughed until we almost cried. And the Brother In Law sat gazing at his hero almost unable to speak.

Craig and Nat, his Mum, H are three of the most genuine, loveable people you are ever likely to meet.     They have those great smiles that radiate happiness and fun. We had a hilarious time after that, the wine flowing, the food just right. It was one of those afternoons that remains for me encased in Amber. The sun coming off the water, the heat, the humidity, the company, the sheer joy of being alive.

Ironically after that, My niece went on to work for the V. 8 Supercars, as their National Marketing Manager and me to be a Purchasing Officer at Holden Special Vehicles.
It's a male dominated industry, the fast cars, as both of us were to find out. Women are pretty much excluded. I was lucky I had a great male mentor Boss, to help me through the testosterone laden industry.

I was lucky enough to then work at Holden in Fishermen's Bend. I wanted so much to work there that I caught a train and a bus in rush hour Melbourne just to have it on my Résumé. I found out Craig was the most popular driver along with Peter Brock, the Everyman, the working class hero. They were both men that loved their fans, understood the hero worship and never grew tired or arrogant from it.



Love Janette

Popular Posts