The Good Life----Do Unto Others

Without Prejudice



It's a simple idea and a good one. In this world if instant gratification and positive thinking. The movement of happiness. The lifestyle of You can have it, now, that a few positive affirmations can bring into being all you desire. No wonder half the world is depressed, and if you are you can take a pill to make you happy.

It doesn't work unless you are here to help others, nothing, no one thing can give you that contentment. I know I as a little girl of 4 I looked in the mirror and thought, who are you? And what do you want ? I knew I was here for a purpose but what was the purpose? I knew then I had a responsibility to others.

I was born blessed. A big happy loving family, a star named after me when I was born, a loving kind funny intelligent Dad. A brilliant lady like Mum with a love of her husband and children. But all of us 6 kids were raised in the ideology of the Presbyterian church. Quite an austere religion of work, thrift and praising God.

We were the original Glee singers, the VON Trapps, singing Calvary as we washed and dried dishes. We knew Onward Christan Soldiers and Jesus Loves Me. We sang all the time and tried to harmonise. Jackie was the best and then Ian, both played instruments as well. Jackie bass guitar and Ian acoustic.

And Ernie, my Dad, played a 24 string Hawaiian Guitar, and had the stage name Lou Devon. He wrote and read music and music was his muse, his live, his passion, his addiction. He performed without nerves, I realised then and realise now he was the best Dad. He gave as much to his children as he gave to his wife and his kids. That's special.

He could also be a "Wide Boy", a petty shyster who could lie to get what he wanted. A Mason who could use the special handshake to gain things, mainly loans that he then couldn't pay back. He loved women and was not always faithful. But he loved his kids and was proud of all of us. Made us into individuals, each and every one of us. We were all special to him.

My Mum suffered post traumatic stress after the war, she was a walking, talking, nervous wreck but she did her best and I realise now Dad over compensated us for her failings. She was funny and witty and as brittle as glass.



To be continued

Popular Posts