Catch A Falling Star And Pope John Francis

Without Prejudice

It's been an unusual Sunday. Usually a day of rest here at the house of the Seven Dwarves and one girl. The kids sleep in and I clean my unit after watching my fun sermons in the early am. I like the fact that religion is so much more accessible these days, full of fun, laughter and song. Much less scary than my Presbyterian upbringing of boring sermons and pious expected behaviour.

Coming home after was fun though, Jackie my Sister would sing The Stations Of The Cross, Calvary, This Little Light Of Mine. She was good and I was crap but would join in anyway. Dad would rehearse on Sunday afternoons in Port Augusta. The lounge room filled with five kids, music, joy and laughter. Mum would be in the kitchen.

Catch A Falling Star was played on the radio around that time. By the wonderful Perry Como. Tennessee Ernie Ford was a fave of my Dads, along with Patsy Cline, Frankie Avalon, the list is endless and long. Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald. Played on the record player with its stylus needle. It was fascinating to us kids as you carefully placed the tiny needle down and music would start.

We sang as we cleaned up after lunch, not just Jackie and I but the boys too. We were our own little Glee club. George would try and wangle his way out of it but Ian would make him. We were six kids then. A big family. Emigrants with a " Funny " Mother who spoke with a cultured accent and Dad with his Scottish burr. I learned to clean at 4.

My girls always tell me I clean a clean house. And I have since I was a Sheraton five star housekeeper. When I was a Mum of four girls in six years the house was always a work in progress. Read messy. I am now enjoying the fact that instead of living in a tip I can have it all my own way. I go out and come home and nothing is moved. It appeals to my perfectionist self.

My Mother always told me and others I would make a cake and decorate it and then want no one to cut it, touch it or eat it. I hated mess and clutter especially the caked necks of bottles of H.P.Sauce or Tomato which sat on the kitchen table. If you investigate my kitchen cupboards everything is perfect as I hate dirt. I have to stop myself from being too OCD as I have 8 grandkids living in the house in front of my unit and they visit every day and I want them to feel comfortable.

It was two freezing degrees this am. So I didn't want to go outside, so cleaned and cleaned instead. I have no idea how a place can get so dirty when there is only one person in it. But it does.

Late in the afternoon of what turned out to be a cold but sunny day and the day of the Winter Solstice Yvette came knocking. For the keys to my car. I followed her into the house and greeted the grand kids.

She hates me cleaning her house as she doesn't want to feel inadequate so I just chatted with her. As I came out darkness had fallen and in the sky was a crescent moon lined up with two stars. The little boys came out to Star gaze and so did our baby girl.

The boys insisted I take a photo of it. They love the planets and have been known to cry if the Moon is not out.

Returning to the unit and more cleaning I thought of it being Sunday and that it should be a day of
rest. Fat chance. As I shook out the rugs on the darkened porch and scared the muscled up Family Alpha Male cat I saw a Falling Star. Brilliant and quite large with a red aura. I haven't seen a Falling Star in years and years. I quickly made a wish.

Strange that I was singing Catch A Falling Star today before I saw one. Thinking of my Family, the Glee Singers. Dad gone now, Mum too and Jamie. But they once were here, on this planet, and singing in Harmony.

And while we are on the topic of planets, religion and Harmony how wonderful it is that The Catholics have Pope John Francis, a progressive Pope. An Argentinean. Hope he changes the laws that say Priests can't marry.

Seems daft to me, seeing as they are MEN. With normal human desires and needs. My Dad always said when he was older and wiser that men " need " the comfort of a Woman's body. It makes them softer, happier, more protective.

He married 4 times so he should know.

He also said older men should rule as they do become wiser as they get older. And the Woman was always the Power behind the throne, my Mother was the mover and shaker in their marriage but let him rule at home.

Have a great week.

Nette






Popular Posts