Superstars Of Country---So, You Hate Country Music

Without Prejudice





The song " He Stopped Loving Her Today" is probably the best of all Country and Western songs. Sung by the artist George Jones, voted the best country singer of all time.

Meander over to YouTube and watch the clip of George, with Alan Jackson, the ultimate Cowboy.They duet in "What A Good Year For The Roses"



George was a flawed man. He loved a drink or five.

Once when he was married to Tammy Wynette she locked all the doors of their ranch house and took all the keys to the cars. It was a Sunday afternoon and she didn't want George to go into town and end up in a bar that he loved. They lived a fair way from town and she knew George wouldn't walk that far.

From Wikipedia...

" Jones' binge drinking and use of amphetamines on the road caught up to him in 1967 and he had to be admitted into a neurological hospital to seek treatment for his drinking. Jones would go to extreme lengths for a drink if the thirst was on him.

 Perhaps the most famous drinking story concerning Jones occurred while he was married to his second wife Shirley Corley. Jones recalled Shirley making it physically impossible for him to travel to Beaumont, located 8 miles away, to buy liquor. Because Jones would not walk that far, she would hide the keys to each of their cars they owned before leaving. She did not, however, hide the keys to the lawn mower. 

Upset, Jones walked to the window and looked out over his property. He later described his thoughts in his memoir: "There, gleaming in the glow, was that ten-horsepower rotary engine under a seat. A key glistening in the ignition. I imagine the top speed for that old mower was five miles per hour. It might have taken an hour and a half or more for me to get to the liquor store, but get there I did.


In her 1979 autobiography Stand By Your Man, Tammy Wynette claims the incident occurred while she was married to Jones, maintaining that she woke up at one am, one morning to find her husband gone: "I got into the car and drove to the nearest bar 10 miles away. "


" When I pulled into the parking lot there sat our rider-mower right by the entrance. He'd driven that mower right down a main highway. He looked up and saw me and said, ‘Well, fellas, here she is now.

" My little wife, I told you she'd come after me."

He was also dubbed " No Show Jones "

But the flawed Man could sing, he said he had no choice. 

And if you think that you HATE Country Music realise you have been listening to it most of your life. Country crossed over to mainstream music in the 60's and 70's.

The Bellamy Brothers

Kenny Rogers

Kris Kristofferson

Dolly Parton, she wrote I Will Always Love You and her simple version is the best.

You've listened to Steve Earle

Elvis Costello

Elvis

The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Charlie Daniels. 

Conway Twitty

Ronnie Milsap

Merle Haggard

Charlie Rich, " When We Get Behind Closed Doors "

The list is endless. Country Music lies behind many songs that you and I love. It was second nature to me as my Dad played a 24 string Hawaiian Guitar. I was spoon fed country from birth and all types of music. Dad stayed up all night on Saturday nights to tape RAGE. When I asked him why he answered that to a Muso all music is good. 

He had hundreds of CD's, all catalogued perfectly. He wrote and read music. It was the best gift he ever gave me. My appreciation of Music, all music. When I listen to Music my Dad is right beside me, whispering. 

" listen to this bit, Janette"

He too was a flawed man but his Music remains with me still. Take a listen to George Jones. Realise the phrasing is perfection, his delivery exceptional and by the look in his eye he is probably pissed. But he is doing what he does best. Singing.

And in The Alan Jackson duet and in He Stopped Loving Her Today you will hear the sound of a Hawaian Guitar. Not a 24 string like my Dad's,  his was bespoke by him. But a 16 string and it still sounds excellent. The guitar can weep, sing, soar, it seems almost a living thing. 



I watched La Vie En Rose last night and the wonderful Edith Piaf, the voice of an Angel and a tragic life. She says in the movie ( although terribly ill ) sobs at her concerned entourage, 

" I have to sing, I have no choice " 

And dammit she gets back up, hobbles on to the stage and sings. 

Love Nette   






Popular Posts