So Sad The Song And Wimbledon

Without Prejudice

Advice to the lovelorn, don't play Sad Songs when you are lonely and blue. Every word will seem to apply to you. When you are restored to happiness you will never want to hear them again and that's a shame for those beautiful songs.

So Sad The Song is just one of those songs. Sung by the fabulous Aretha Franklin it can render you into a sobbing jelly that is neither practical or necessary. Besides tears give you " ugly face " for weeks so suck it up and move on as life is too short. Play bright up beat music, whinge to your friends, close that door and move on.

I, of course am good at giving advice and not applying it to myself.

I have compulsively played those songs when heart broken and sobbed like a big baby.

I can recall one heart broken time when I knew, just knew I would not sleep for 5 weeks. I turned my face to the wall and sobbed. It was awful and nothing would rouse me out of my misery for exactly five weeks. If only people realised how terrible it is to hear that the man or woman you
love so deeply is with another.

Its like a knife to the heart.

Especially if it hasn't been long since you were together.

They say that the heart becomes stronger through pain but I think that's bull shit.

I am no perfect angel myself but I have not once in my life gone out and thought I must hurt someone deliberately today. It has never occurred to me. I lack the ego and vanity.

Mainly as I was taught that other people were more important than me, better looking, more intelligent, wittier as I am sure mr parents didn't want me to grow up arrogant and selfish.

And on to happier things and events.

Wimbledon,

just the word evokes a warm steady glow.

Hot days, rain, strawberries and cream, heart stopping play, celebration, late nights and red eyes as players go into overdrive and matches last interminably but still we watch. Fascinated.

Muscles straining, arms extended, bright coloured outfits, superb athletes at the top of their game watched by millions all over the world. What's not to like ?

The crowds, the celebratory feeling, the spectators heads swivelling back and forth in a uniform pattern. The cute ball boys and girls concentrating hard on their job. The umpire and the anticipation of an upset, a player screaming yelling at the umpire or official. Tensions high.

It evokes a scent, distant and yet pungent. Warm strawberries crushed under foot mixed with cut grass and warm soil. Crushed grass under foot, a Pimms Number One Cup, ice cold and sipped slowly. The faint taste of crushed Juniper Berries tickling on the tongue, crunching the cucumber strip so that its coolness fills the mouth.

Summer in England is so sensual. The hedgerows are alive with birds that dart in and out and fly up suddenly causing your breath to stop in a sudden heart beating moment. Bulbs are pushing up through the chocolate brown ground, sending up frail green shoots to greet the sun. Daffodils dance and nod. Their colour vibrant after the grey of Winter days,

And with Summer comes Wimbledon.

I can't wait

Nette x




Popular Posts