Recipes From A Seventies Teen Wife---Martha Stewart's Inspiration

Without Prejudice






I was a teen wife in the seventies. 17 nearly 18 when I was married. My Sister was 19. It was the done thing then.


 Me, ex husband on right and Ian Thomas ( friend ) I was 16 and we were arguing already.


 Wedding day 4th July, Independence Day , I was 17



 My ex husband with first baby, Deborah



 The gun at my head. I was 16 and a Virgin



 At the Farm , Mandalay, I had just given birth to my second baby in. 12 months


My Tomboy Grown women, Alena and Yvette



 Yvette digging the backyard.

 My 4 girls at Phillip Island


Not happy Jan


Within a year I had to learn to be a Mother, Cook, Wife, Domestic Cleaner and a part time worker at KFC. I am still friends with my old Boss from KFC, after four decades.

Margaret Fulton, The Australian Women's Weekly menu cards were my inspiration for cooking and I still use the recipes to this day.

Simple basic recipes, no garlic or quinoa.

Just eggs, butter, flour, sugar, not even much pasta as pasta was considered International food.

How times have changed.

My photo above is of toasted Marshmallows, so easy and yet so attractive.
 It's basically 3 or 4 ingredients.

Another Confectionery favourite



Chocolate Fudge







My staple dishes then were Beef Stroganoff or Beef Tomato Creme, meatloaf, curry, savoury mince, jarred chops, roasts and braises.

All recipes I have passed on to my grown women girls.

Fried rice is easy and traditional, corned beef with parsley sauce and creamy mashed potato,

Beef satay with homemade satay sauce

Egg and bacon pie

Lemon coconut slice made with condensed milk, fresh lemons and old fashioned Marie biscuits.

French Onion Dip

Tuna Mornay

Tuna Casserole

Prawn Cocktail. One friend made the sauce with ice cream and tomato sauce.

Steak Diane

Steak and Kidney Pie

Honey mustard chicken

Crumbed cutlets

Veal Cordon Bleu

Sweet And Sour pork with fresh pineapple

Beef chow mein

Coleslaw with fresh apple

Corn dip with butter and Jatz Crackers

Raspberry Coconut Slice.

Pavlova with fresh cream, passionfruit, strawberries and a grated mint chocolate bar

The list is quite long.

These days Martha Stewart is my inspiration in all things, cooking and craft but back then it was all about the great Aussie cooks and simplicity.










Popular Posts