Dad

Without Prejudice

Funny, irreverent, uncompromising, talk the hind leg off a donkey, Music! I always though if you cut open my Dad, music notes would flow out. It was his mistress, his muse, his passion, his love, his whore and his panacea for ill. Dad was music, it was as much a part of him as his glasses and his wardrobe. I loved him to be dressed up to go to a gig. I would watch him shave his baby bottom smooth face, smelling delicious and looking so wonderful in his black dinner pants with the satin down the sides.

Every Sunday I can remember he would rehearse, sometimes with Jackie too and sometimes Ian. I loved it and was too shy to join in. To me they were the epitome of talent and Style. Dad at his 24 string Hawaiian guitar, thumping his right foot in a rhythm no one else seemed to get. He was impatient with other musos who couldn't get it. He was also impatient with singers who couldn't get a note and would put his hand to his head, in disbelief and murmur "shit". He was on IMT with Graeme and Bert and did back up gigs for Shirley Bassey.

Wherever we went the guitar went, till it got to be an embarressment to us kids and we would dread someone asking
"Ernie, have you brought your guitar?"
At a party or gathering. Out would come the amp, the speakers, the guitar, Jackie was so good she went on to sing with him professionally at Working Mens Clubs in the UK, gigs on the Gold Coast like the Grand Hotel with a stand Up Comedian that had the bluest jokes dad had ever heard. Dad and Mum he had a music store there in the Lido Arcade and we knew the Brothers Gibb before they were the Bee Gee's. Jackie went out with Barry Gibb but dumped him.
Dad was supremely intelligent ( a mind like a steel trap) was one of the not so nice comments about him, but to me he was just Dad.

He would make us laugh with his terrible jokes, like
"Me mates fallen in the watter"
He would be there holding the stopwatch on us as we swam length after length in freezing cold pools at 5am in the morning. he would be there if we won, anything, or cheering us on from the sidelines. He was proud of all of our achievements. Not letting us miss a swim meet in Iron Knob once, even after he had flipped the "Humber Super Snipe" with all of us kids in it. He flagged down another car to get Jackie to her first race on time and we followed after the car had been righted.

He would employ his sons in his businesses, like the panel beaters and the Music Shop.

He stayed with my Mother to the end of her life even though she was clearly mad. And at his Funeral wanted played
"You were always on My Mind"
He died 15 years ago and I miss his voice everyday. But as my fiance at the time stated,
"Your Father Left You A Beautiful Gift"
And when I questioned what of many things that was, he said
His appreciation of Music, I have never known someone that appreciates music more than you "
And it's true, it is also my hero, my uplift of mood, panacea to my ills and sadness, nothing makes you sadder than a poignant song.

But to the little girl I was, he was all men possible, loving, affectionate, funny, strong, fun loving and able to bear great sorrow. He was a positive thinker, looked after himself and when he was dying, kept asking me if I was happy. That is all he wanted for me that I be happy.

Thanks Dad. Your " little Flower Pot" remembers and honours you today, God Bless love Janette

Popular Posts