Crazy and Ridiculous

Without Prejudice

I must be the most spastic person on earth, as I am always doing something crazy. My Sister, Helen, The Nurse extraordinaire laughs her head off every time she speaks to me. The last time was yesterday. She said only me would jump a 10 foot fence and crawl through weeds and nettles, and chop down a massive old rose bush to get my Fathers ashes dug up. At this stage we have heard it might not even be my Dad but a dead horse.

So either way I have a bucket with a bag in it that may or may not be my Dad, and he would just laugh as well, God rest his soul, if he was here. And that was just the beginning of the week. I have a large brood like one of the big Islander Families and there is always something happening. Vicious snits as only girls can get into, weird fights over nothing. This feeling hurt there, another over there, a few face slappings and punch ons. You know the type of Family.

Sometimes I let it all wash over me and other times I want to pack up my unit and head for some gorgeous sunny block in Queensland, with a big fence and a vicious guard dog so no one can ever visit me. I'd get bored, I know I would. But it might be nice for the Winter. May to October. Now thats a plan! The week went from the ridiculous to the down right crazy by Tuesday and I looked up the moon calender, sure enough, full moon time.

Even the slothful husky started howling like a wolf all of a sudden and she doesn't do it often. It didn't energise her a bit but I made someone walk the fat tub every day. This dog is so slothy she lies down to eat and licks up the tasty little granules of Supercoat. She lay there inert as a man walked into our back yard and then went berserk at a poor little old lady delivering pamphlets in a push chair.

Tuesday afternoon I decide to top up the Power Steering fluid in my car and realised every sodding thing inside is hard to reach, awkward and with my cut fingers from the sodding branches of that freaking Rose Bush I could not either fathom where it had to go but couldn't reach it. Power Steering Fluid the sign said, 12 inches down and around a bendy thing. So I went and asked my very obliging neighbour, K, who was home.

He strolled over, looked at it, wrestled with the air cleaner and said,
"She's left me you know"
I thought, "Oh God no, now he's going to tell me all about it and I was just dying to get this done so I could rush off and do something else. But I listened as I always do, People see me in queues and pray to Jesus for me or tell me they are lost. I must have something printed on my forehead or the type of face that says 'Sucker for a good story "

"Yeah, she's gone back to live with her Mother" There was no point in replying the flood gates came open and he poured it all out. Poor thing. I demurred tried to offer no advice as she might come back and then he might tell her what I said, There wasn't much to say it was a sad tale and no doubt true. He's a straight shooter sort of Man. He wrestled with the air cleaner and made a clip thing. I tried to take his mind off his troubles and asked about work.
"Got the sack, too"

And we both just laughed,
""So not having a good week then ? " I said and we laughed some more and he was gone and I started up the car and he said
" Did it have that rattle before?"
"Oh, its alright", I said not wanting to detain him further,
"It needs a service, anyway"
So I drove off and after about two minutes the car sounded like a Volkswagon or a Lawn Mower, chug, chug, chug.

I was scared to pull up beside people at the lights as they might think I was about to conk out. Yvette said,
"It's your air cleaner, he must have put it back on wrong"
She fastened on one clip she saw undone but the car continued to chug and I seriously didn't have time to take it anywhere for a few day, so busy I was. So Yvette said it was only the air and it wouldn't conk out so I just drove the bloody thing, sounding like a panting dog on heat every time I took off at the lights.

Then S was locked up, Yvette's former partner so I got to hear all about that and next day was visitation appointment with the other boys Father and that went on all day and then I got to hear all about that. In the meantime I have rearrnged the house, getting ready for a hard rubbish booked pick up. Yvette hoards stuff and I have to wait until she is out of the house or ask her permission so I can throw stuff out.

She might change her mind from week to week, depending on her mood. Sometimes its throw the old toys out and the next week she will have dragged all of them back inside. Its a crazy world and how we manage it i do not know. We sort of just muddle through. At least these days we work together and it's all about the boys welfare. Then when we have finished with them, we make time for ourselves or we would go nuts.

All boys aged from 22 to 1, seven of them, with all their own issues and faults and annoyances and eating habits and the paperwork. I'm anal and always making lists and crossing things off and Yvette's like
"Who Cares ?"
So in some ways she's good for me and I am good for her. We have finally settled down to living cheek by jowl and we have strict Boundaries that neither of us cross. Its the only way it works and I can no longer be Mother to my girls, they are fully grown have great lives with houses and cars and kids and they don't need me any more. Well sometimes they do but its now time for my life and I am getting really excited by that. It's like being free all over again, I feel like a teenager and am probably going through my second childhood, but it's a lot more fun than I have had in ages. Why be miserable, we only have one life. the other phrase going around in my head is,
"I don't care"

Most of peoples misery is of their own making and I am not doing anything. I will smile in sympathy, nod my head and say not a thing, because
"I don't care"
It doesn't mean I am an unfeeling person, I help others wherever I can but I am weary of the same old story, over and over again. So I disconnect. In fact a man said to me the other night,
"You'll remember my words when you are lying in bed tonight"
And because I have heard it all before in different forms by different men, its still the same old story and I could not recall one word he had said later, not one word ! That doesn't surprise me as when you get a bit older you learn to take what most people say with a grain of salt. There are lots of types of people. Frank Sinatra used to say that there are 40 types of people in the world and you keep meeting the same characters. That would be right lol Janette

Popular Posts