Mr Big -----------------------

Without Prejudice

I had been told he was the oldest man there. It was the 6th June 2008. 1pm.

"Is that him" i asked my co worker, who had stated the oldest man remark.
No, this is BIG", she said as she tapped a tall man on the shoulder he turned and grinned down at me. For that instant my little world shifted. The earth stopped on its axis for a millisecond and I turned and fled.
I ranted at the co worker and she just laughed, enjoying the joke and i stomped on my vintage shoes up the stairs and got back to work with a renewed vigour.
"Rich, powerful and probably a prick", I reasoned with myself.

BIG was not old and certainly not the oldest man there he was a director of the company I was working at. One of six directors and all of them were rich, powerful and good looking. I had been married to one of those and I knew what such men could be like.

The next day I was in early and searching on real estate.com for a house in Noble Park. Google is a no no when you are supposed to be working, behind me I heard a voice and a hand was placed on my shoulder,
"SPRUNG!"

I turned around, guiltily, my face burning with shame.

"Don't worry about it, we're not Anal about things like that ". Big said.


Then he scooted up on to the bench next to me I played it very cool, remote not interested.
But he stayed just chatting away. All normal. my work had never looked so interesting as i gazed at the computer and refusing to look at the pair of powerful thighs seated next to me.
I often arrived at work early and he would already be there, remote serious he only needed a pair of glasses and I could have mistaken him for Clark kent, but i refused to. rich, powerful, good looking related to hurt for me.


One day he followed me into the kitchenette where I was grabbing a quick coffee to prop my eyes open from a busy weekend.
"How was your weekend' he asked
"Devastating" I replied.
He took a step back.
"Why""
" I stayed at my daughter's house and one of her dogs ate the back out of my favourite shoes" and i indicated the back of the vintage shoe. My favourites.
"Ah", he said, " You could fix those with a pair of scissors. trim the bitten bit up"
"Cool ", i said and left for my desk.

A few days later, I called out to him as he passed with some important visitors.
He turned, a bemused look on his face.

" The tip with the scissors"
He looked at me not understanding.
i held the shoe up.
"it worked'
He grinned and left. He knew i was winding him up, taking the mickey out of him as he passed carrying on being the important man he was .
He would often comment at me as he passed my desk my label was hanging out of my jumper, my bra strap was showing, other little comments meant to rattle me but i didn't care he was nothing to me and i mused I ate little boys like him for breakfast.

So I mostly ignored this man at work who gave me lip and tried to tidy me up. He said, once
"You don't think that much of yourself, do you"
"No", was my terse reply.
He was as fascinated by me as I was of him but I stood to lose more me being just a pleb and him a big boss.


He and another man were going through divorces together and Z never heard the end of it. They both stopped at my desk one day and asked why women on the whole were gold digging bitches.
I over heard him on the phone omce. He said he had been married twice, not the once as I thought. I asked him.

"So what did you do wrong ? "
He was shocked into silence and then said
" Uh, I picked the wrong people ?"
It was more a question than a statement.
"If you believe that you're a bigger idiot than you look", I said and left.

Big asked me out if I would like to go for a drink one day and I sai Mmmmm, but I knew I wouldn't. I don't go out with Bosses, it's a rule of mine.

That day my desk phone rang and it was Big,
No hallo how are you he just started talking, My ex husband used to do the same thing,
"Where's the cheque book ? ", he would say.
I often teased him and asked who was calling and the answer always came back the same.
"It's me, you idiot"

So Big in a disembodied voice from a car phone said,
"What are you doing tonight/"
"Going to see a house with a real esate agent"
Snort of impatience then hang up.

Next day, same time, same phone call,
"What are you doing tonight/"
I asked who it was even though I knew.
"Me you idiot ! "
Hmmm, now where had I heard that before ????
"I'm busy! "
"Doing what ?"
"None of your business, and I'm busy right now, actually", and I hung up.
The phone rang again,
"Did you just hang up on me ?"
"Yes"
"I'm your Boss" He said.(This was the only time he pulled rank on me, to be fair )
"i know that and I told you I am busy!!"
And hung up again.

I was surprised at my behaviour and then thought he'd probably come in and sack me the next day.
He didn't, he just totally ignored me for a while.

He was the Boos of my two immediate Bosses and they fauned over him. I didn't. I thought he was a tripper. The only time I took him seriously was when he talked about this daughter. then I was interested. I told him a little of my crazy family and he didn't comment. He did ask what year I had married and I tried to mentally work out what year it was when I was lying about it and hesitated. He looked at me and knew straight away I was lying.
But I'd lied about my age to get the job.

He gave me lip whenever he saw me and I called him over to my desk one time,
"Yes Boss ! ", he said and sat next to me.
He told me he loved what he did and that when we started on a new 5 speed I would be busier as I told him shame facedly I was bored beyond measure.

One time I was running down the stairs as was he,
"My ex called me fat", He said.
"Oh I like a man with a bit of meat ", I said, cheekily,
He turned and looked at me,
"She thinks I'm an asshole"
I didn't answer.

One day he was coming out of a meeting with his lackeys and to impress me said to all
"Don't worry, I'll be the C**t"
In front of the top floor of people, I shouted out.
"Oh, no, You are not a C**t, you are an arsehole"
Laughter all around and he was livid. I knew he would punish me in some way for my insolence but I didn't really care.



He rang me one night on my mobile and said I was on a shit load of money. I was, it was very good money for a woman, but one third of what my male bosses would have been on

Love Janette

Popular Posts