Summer is Leaving

Without Prejudice

The cold mornings and evenings are coming and soon. The last few mornings of Summer are already nippy and depress me with their promise of many cold months to come. I have that ridiculous ilness called S.A.D. Seasonal affected Disorder and I hate the winter with a passion. Have to get away this year. Up to Queensland where even in mid winter the sun shines and helps my mood. I love the sun and that is not the way I am supposed to be hard wired. I was born in Edinburgh, Scotland and came to Australia as a 2 year old.

Scots and all Northern Europeans are supposed to be hard wired for cold and winter, Ha ! I am most defintely not. If I don't get away I am shitty and moody and grumpy and want to eat all the time, especially carbs. There is a light box you can use, 1,000 lux or something that if you sit in front of for half an hour a day and it hel[ps with the S.A.D. I prefer to get out of Melbourne al together. I have loads of family and friends up there in Qld and Darwin as well.

My older brother lives in Darwin and he loves the heat. He was always a Ballarat boy and Melbourne before that, so he knows cold. Interestingly, Ian, my oldest brother is the reason my parents emigrtaed from Scotland and UK in the first place. He had something called "Chronic Cattarh" and the Doctor told Mum and Dad that their son needed a warmer clime to thrive. We were all dosed once a day on Cod Liver Oil and malt, which Mum lied and said we had loved. We didn't have to have this noxious mixture in Australia.

But I feel the Summer coming and I feel it leaving and I want more of the sun and heat. So about May I am determined to head off and have a break in the sun. Maybe next School hols when the boys are home and I don;t have to help ferry them around or clean up their messes and leave the lawns to them and the weeding, the big cleanups. Don't worry when I come back it will be exactly the same as when I left. Just messier. Thats my job all those things, including big clean ups when Yvette is not around as she is a hoarder and I am a clean freak.

We are like the odd couple, my 2nd oldest daughter and I. She seriously could not give a s**t what people think of her or her house. She is beyond laif back most of the time and yet she still manages to get everything done. I am an anal control freak, bossy and her Mother so I have to learn patience and try to not be so anxious and Yvette needs to rise a little more. She has since she turned 40. She is still a complete bitch of course if she can be but we have found ways of rubbing alongside each other and it works at last after 12 months of turmoil.

She also hates the Winter and she would live permanently in Queensland if she had the chance. We have great housing though so we bear it most of the time and cheer each other up on wet miserable days. I am up early, always, the energiser bunny ready to work like mad. Yvette creeps in to the day, usually in the foulest mood as she is so skinny and her blood pressure is always low. Once she eats and drinks she is a whole lot better tempered. I leave her alone, usually, unless its important she is up early.

I do the morning shift as Yvette is a single Mum with 7 boys and I have a unit in her back garden which i LOVE ! It's mine, mine, all mine and is my haven from the noisy family times and when Yvette wants no help. We have Boundaries now. Strict Boundaries with some flexibility. I don't just go into her house and she just doesn't come in to mine. We both feel a need for Privacy at times and I want a side gate so no one knows if I am home or not. And the family doesn't know who comes in my place. Yvette doesn't like certain people and would rather not know if I am still friendly with them.

Popular Posts