Thank you Dad

Without Prejudice

If my Dad was here, what would I thank him for??. I guess I would thank him for the fact that he protected me. When cockroaches ran and scruuied through our house in Jervois Street, Port Augusta on hot nights. He would scoop me up in his arms and carry me to bed. I won't thank him for leaving spiders alive in Jackie and My room, as they were "Good, as they ate flies"

I would thank him for my apprecaition of music, every chord, every nuance, "Sweeping the dust from my soul". I would thank him for making me proud to be born Scots and to be priveliged so young at two to be given a whole new country of sun and excitement. I would thank him for being the decent Dad that he was, who scolded me once I think in my entire life. Just that, a scold, never a raised voice or smack but reason and understanding.

I remeber admitting to a crime I didn't commit as I didn't want my sibs to get in trouble and he said, very gently in his slight Glaseegian burr,
"Janette, I know it wasn't you, but good girl for trying to keep your brothers and sister out of trouble". JACKIE AI WE ALL THEN LOOKE TOWAR GEORGE, ALWAY THE GUILTY CUL

Popular Posts