eBay I love You

Without Prejudice

I haven't bought anything off EBay for ages. But I decided to go on and look for a window air conditioner as we are in the middle of a heatwave and my little shoebox gets stifling. I was trying to be Eco friendly by using a water cooler. And a fan in a pinch. The trouble is I work at home. And did I mention The HEAT WAVE And I am menopausal. I like to call it men o pause all. That's because I have finished my counselling and I no longer fear and loathe men, I just don't want one.
They seem somehow to always cost me something, time, money, energy.

So I have my own little internal fire going all the time, as well as the external heat. Some call them hot flushes or as the Americans call them hot flashes. I call them a pain in the arse. I once had a night sweat so bad I stripped off my tee shirt in the morning and it hit the tiled bathroom floor with a distinct splat. Urgh. I could see the imprint of my entire body on the sheets. I had to strip the bed and I thought bollocks to this.

I was thrilled when I had my first one and a week later after the 1,000 one I was at the Doctors whining. He put me on Premarin or Pregnant Mares Urine, and that is what it really is but in tablet form. Miraculously they control the flushes, yaay. But I have decided it is time to go off them, ( I make these decisions as I am irrational) well so my oldest daughter tells me, anyway.

So you will understand my need of an air conditioner. My shoebox of a unit only measures 8m x 5m, divided into 4 rooms. It's well insulated and I have shady trees behind it but oh my word it gets hot. I want to be Eco friendly and I also decided that it was no spend January. No spending anything on non essentials, essentials being food, petrol, bills. I joined a site called Frugal Living and it said do the right thing and have a NO Spend January. So I have now ignored that. (Refer back to previous paragraph, re irrational comment)

I had all of the best intentions but the worst hot weather is yet to come. Every state in Australia is in the middle of a Heatwave. Tassie South is alight with terrifying bushfires and its only going to get worse. February can be beyond hot and its always when the sweet little preppies start school and swelter. But realistically this is Australia and drought and heatwaves and bushfires are as part of our history as Chiko Rolls and meat pies.

So I went on Ebay, missed out on one that went last week and was still semi determined to get a window air conditioner. Not forgetting that there was a feeble voice of conscience nagging in my brain. Last week one went for a ridiculous price for a second hand conditioner so I had a price in mind. All week I have been watching dealers walking in to charity shops and eyeing off the stuff and then trying to haggle on the price. Men, and they work in pairs.

No different on Ebay, some just bidding on something but at a bargain price to clean it up and onsell for a profit. They must all watch American Pickers and think the same. I marked it as a watch item and waited. I figured it would not go as high this time because most of the people on Ebay would be watching the  bushfires in Tasmania. Its a Saturday night, hot and breathless after a scorcher yesterday and a wicked sleepless night where the temperature was still 32 at midnight.

I figured there would not be too many bidders on and the price rose from a mere $15.00 to $45.00. I knew there would be hidden bids, of course and I opened up two screens and refreshed every thity seconds. On the second screen I set up a bid but didn't confirm. I knew I would be bidding against men and men like a nice round figure. So I went over the ton and bid $101.00 and placed the bid 45 seconds before the end. You have to have nerves of steel to do this and you pray the connection doesn't drop out.

I figured that if I was going to get it I was going to get it but preparation is still the key. I ended up watching three screens at once as my Sister In Law, who was once married to my Brother lives in Tassie. Her and her partner were a bees dick away from the fires and with no phone connection she could only go on Facebook and keep everyone updated about the fires. Thankfully all good, fingers crossed. So I bid at the last tiny window of opportunity and won. Its called a "Sting" and works very well if you set it all up properly.

I'm picking it up tomorrow and will come home and make a frame for it and have beauutiful cool breezes blowing in my hot box by tomorrow night. I feel bad about spending the money when I promised myself a no spend January but I fugured that I had sold an old kerosene lamp that the ex Son In Law left here. He's back in the Big House for the time being for trying to walk out of the Supermarket with $700 worth of groceries and no money. He is a terrible criminal in the fact that he does the stupidest crimes and always gets caught.

I felt sorry for him last time he was released and let him stay at my place for one night. He pinched my Ipad and I did get it back straight away, not without charging him with theft. and he left all this old gunk here. He was as high as a kite and he really did find all the stuff on a hard rubbish clear out. Old clothes and garden rubbish. But in amongst the detritus was an old lamp, in a faded box. I researched it and listed it on Ebay and received $102 for it. So my hapless ex son in law just paid for my air conditioner and so he should, little Twit. I won't be helping or feeling sorry for anyone anymore.

Alls well that ends well, love to all the people in Tasmania that are left devastated by the fires and good luck to my Darling Kerry Cue and her partner Nathan.


Love Janette







Popular Posts