The Beauty Of Older Women, Helen Mirren Joanna Lumley Et al

Without Prejudice

We are all going to age, it is as natural as breathing. If you have spent all your life obsessing with the mirror than of course you are going to be a lot unhappier than other women. In our youth obsessed culture, what of the beauty of the older woman ?

It used to be that older women were largely invisible but with older women now leading the charge they are now no longer invisible . Look at Helen Mirren, Judge Judy parading their bodies in bilkinis. Joanna Lumley having her own travel show. Martha Stewart still going strong and Barbara Walters who has to be in her 80's, one of the most revered and respected iconic figures on Television.

Those women are not obsessed with how they look, but with how they feel. And looks like they feel pretty good. They have husbands or are single, some smoke, some don't. Some have had plastic surgery and some not. But its not about trying to look like a teenager its about feeling good about themselves.

Older women have lived it, been it, made it and are happy in their own skin. It used to be that men aged better than we did, largley due to a lack of Oestrogen once we passed menopause. But with the advent of Botox and nips and tucks women can hold back the ageing process and look as good if not better than their male counterparts.

Once you have raised a family and breathed a huge sigh of relief is it not then time for the woman that has given it her all to take some time for herself. And if that includes plastic surgery then good on her, if she can afford it. Its delightful to see women, ordinary women, that are having skin peels and bust lifts and liposuction.

They have probably spent half their lives pandering to others and its time for them. Time to look great, feel great, be great. Most older women are not doing plastic surgery for their young boyfriends. They are having it to impress themselves. (If they are doing it for the young boyfriend, its the wrong reason ). Thats because plastic surgery is painful, (Don't believe Doctors that say you mat feel a little discomfort ) Ha!. I had my stomach tightened twenty odd years ago and OMG, pain, like nothing on earth and depression after.

It looked at first like I had never had anything done. My stomach swollen and covered in dried blood and stitches. I looked like the bride of Frankenstein. But the procedure is so much better these days and I would recommend it to anyone. The only downside I found is that parts of my flat stomach are still numb which can be comical at times and dangerous at others

I have leaned onto hot surfaces and never felt a thing until someone cried out in alarm. I figure if I ever get into a kinky sex game, NOT, that my lover could stub his cigarettes out on my belly and I would never feel it. Not going to happen. My kids and Grandkids vet all my toy boys and lovers and as they are so vigilant it saves me from the rotten ones. 

Everyone of my Family has an opinion on who I am going out with. Shits me sometimes but there you have it. If past behaviour is an indication of future behaviour then they are quite right to do so. I spent 20 years married, ten years engaged and 5 years going out with a kindly grandfatherly type. I am working my way downwards. Which is OK.

I like looking after myself now, I pamper myself, spend time on myself, do not choose to spend time with people that either bore me aor piss me off. Thats is my privilege, I am older. I can still rock it with the best of them. I love Ozzy Osbourne and Metallica and the Angels and on and on and on with music. In fact I have a toy boy that loves my music more than I do and he is 25 years younger than me. Like Jennifer Lopez I keep telling him to go find a nice young chick that can give him kids.

I think the U.K. leads the way in  revering the older woman anyway. Look at Judy Dench, Maggie Smith, great actresses and certainly not in their doteage but they are worshipped as older icons. So was the Queen Mum. If you walk down a street in Wakefield as I did once with my Auntie Par, young men would call out to her
"Alright, Darling" and give her a nod.
I love that about English Men ans Scottish, Irish and Welsh men. The older woman is not invisible in England.

They have magazines, fashion magazines geared to the older woman. And its great fashion. My Auntie Betty, bless her, is 91 and still dresses smartly and elegantly. Has her hair done every week and goes out on Monday nights, dancing, with what she calls the "Old folk". She is an inspiration and her Aunt is 103 and fighting fit, both mentally and physically.  She also dresses beautifully.

They are solid down to earth Yorkshire women who call a spade a shovel and tolerate no nonsense except from their men. They adore their men and spoil them rotten. My Mum never wanted her girls to marry a Yorkshireman as she reckoned they were all spolied Mammys boys, but my Sister did and he's not a Mummys boy at all.

Goldie Hawn is 67 and can still rock a swimsuit, she keeps in shape and had her boobs done, not a lot, but enough to shut the harping male critics up that said she had poached eggs. Bloody hell leave the poor woman alone. I bet half the Hollywood blokes have man boobs but do we go on about it?. No. And we also know with that in built radar who is gay and who is not. We are not idiots, Prince Albert, John Travolta, Tom Cruise, George Clooney, Kevin Spacey, Lachlan Murdoch, and there is a big female contingent too, God knows why they hide it. I guess they have to.


There are qualities to the older woman I cannot begin to tell you. Patient (Not me I'm still working on that one ), kindness, compassion, understanding. I don't want to be a teenage girl again. I was always worrying about something then. My skin which had pimples until I was at least in my forties. I bit my nails, I was obsessed with men and if they liked me. I was a Mother of 4 at 24 and let me tell you I was exhausted all the time. 

I worked two jobs often and went back to study at 32 and gave myself a year of hell. Then Uni ditto, working and studying and I couldn't hack it in the end and gave up my dream of wanting to be a Teacher. I then had nightmare teen girls of my own and I was a single Mother by then. I did it hard and now I have reached the age and wisdome where I can do what I want, when I want with and with who I want. 

I know of several young things that want a family and have not met the right partner at nearly forty so are having babies by A.I. Why not ? Its not something you choose, usually but a child can be raised by a loving single parent as much as two people can. And its nonsense that gay people are somehow harming children by their sexuality. What a lot of rot. You have to want kids and expect them to change your life for the better. And that does not matter if you are gay or straight. Its all about the love baby, all about the love .


Love janette









Popular Posts