Daily Life 6.09.2012

Without Prejudice

Everyday is a different day at Chez femme, nothing is set in concrete and we keep it as relaxed as we can. Things will change in an instant and it is non stop mayhem most of the time. We have a large block in Cranbourne, Victoria, with two dwellings on it.one a newish 4 bedroom house and one a single bed unit. My daughter is a single Mother with 7 boys. Aged between 2 and 22. She always wanted 7 kids and she was getting them whether anyone else thought she should or not.

Yvette has been here 7 years and has commented if it were not for cheap affordable housing through The Ministry, she would be "stuffed". Luckily the boys only ever really remember Lexton Avenue Dandenong, another house but too small and this house. Before that it was life on the move with Mum chasing Dad, who mostly didn't want to be caught.

But one day she decided she'd had enough of her errant spouse and left him, bringing the kids to me. We then, her sisters and I, managed to get her housed in her first house within 3 months which was unheard of. We had to have the CAT team, a Salvation Army Worker, a doctor's help to get there but get there we did. The boys were safe and that was our main concern.

Then her estranged man came back and for her safety and the boys we had to get her moved after 4 years. We went in to see the Ministry and the lady that ran the show said no way to another house. Alena said
"If something happens to my Sister, I'm holding you personally responsible. The estranged spouse came back and broke the windows and attacked Yvette, her oldest son, their oldest son and the new baby had to be grabbed by a neighbour, who hid in her house. Needless to say Yvette and the boys were moved within six weeks.

And they've been here ever since. It's set amongst other owned houses in a good neighbourhood and there has been so many movings in and out around us that no one knows it's a ministry house. When Yvette first moved here it was expected of her to be a "skanky Houso". She's a lady but she can swear like a Wharfie and beat people up even though she's only 6 stone if that.

The neighbours over the years have seen her bring down ex boyfriends on the front nature strip with one arm, whilst eight months pregnant and holding a 6 year old in her other hand. She's a tough cookie, has a rocking bod and knows how to get whatever she wants. She's the squeaky door that gets oiled first, as she  is very determined.

She's made a lot of mistakes with her two men, picked the wrong ones. She said once,
"I wish people would stop judging me about being a single Mother, do you think I planned to raise 7 kids by myself, no, I thought I'd be raising them with the Father's around and where are they ????" Then she cried.


But these days she has 3 sons working, 3 are top of their classes in Maths. Two of her sons want to be Policemen, one wants to own a restaurant, learn Italian and go to Italy. One is an army cadet and wants to join the Army as soon as he is old enough. The boys are good hearted, hard working and love their brothers. The oldest one moved out last year and took care of two of his brothers, they all worked and had the lovely fancy place.


Then the oldest one's girlfriend grew sick of the oldest grandson's errant going out all the time and left, taking their baby with her. So they all moved back home and even though the house is like Beirut on a bad day, they seem very happy and so does the "Mother"

I moved here two years ago. And it is a perfect solution in so many ways. I have my own unit and it's beautiful. I love it, it's only small but it's mine for life. The lovely lady from the Ministry came two weeks ago and said she's already told her Son that she's getting one of the units in his backyard when he marries.  She wants to be near her Grandkids, so he might as well get used to the idea as that is exactly what is going to happen.

Also, a dear relation, who sadly has cancer, also has one now and she loves it. She has sails outside hers and plants. She loves escaping the noise and chaos of the house and retreating to her "little house". It's just enough for one person. They are beautifully made, all the best stuff and it has a floor plan like a little cottage.

One bedroom, that can be closed off, the bedroom has a big ensuite/laundry, no bath but shower, toilet, handbasin, the shower is massive. Then a lounge room and kitchen off. The kitchen is new, so's the bathroom, paint, insulation and electrical. I'm on a different power bill and gas bill to the main house. I love it and have made it mine. When I am in here the door is shut and I can't hear a thing from the house.


So, it's the best of both worlds, I get to be with Family, which I missed living on my own in big empty houses. I took in International Students but they all saty in their rooms all the time. So I was lonely. And Yvette always can use a hand. That many kids make for a lot of work, and we do all the gardening by ourselves.

The family is like a moving mass of chattering, mumblimg, hungry, thirsty boys. And we have a baby that comes for the weekend, every weekend. And his Daddy jealously guards him so we are lucky if we get a look in. He growls that the baby has kept him up all night, but he never seems angry about it. We're convinced he just wakes up in the middle of the night, so that Daddy can play with him. He's possessed with his baby son.

The Mother and he have a good relationship, realising they were too young to be settling down. She has her own flat with baby and is an amazing Mother, he chose well. And his son is a delight, he laughs at anything, just chuckles and he is is edible. We hadn't seen him for a week and Yvette banged on my door, last Friday, calling
"I've got the Million Dollars, I've got the Million Dollars.

And there he was reaching out to me, blue knitted bonnet on and I grabbed him and swang him around, delighted. He's my great grandson and aren't I the lucky one ????

I live a lovely lucky life, I manage on a lot less money than when I was a Purchasing Officer for places like HSV and GMH. But everyone that knows me, knows I hate working in an office. Not unless it's mine and then I can fit other things that matter to me. I write, or try and write everyday as "Practice makes perfect"

59,000 readers, and they like the "real life" stories, and they are all over the world. I'm delighted and amazed and grateful.



Popular Posts